Chapter 55: No, sir - I'm a bona-fide boy

CHAPTER 55:
NO, SIR - I'M A BONA-FIDE BOY

       PERHAPS HE was simply saying things just to scare her from coming close to Nikolas, but Alis couldn't understand his whole "one of two people you don't challenge in this city". Generally speaking, if there were someone who mustn't be challenged, those would be royalty and nobles, and then some mafia heads. But even if we're to exclude royalty since no one would dare go against them as it is now, that leaves countless nobles and those heads of three big factions.

"Didn't you just say that he has no important position? And there are three big shoots in this city? Are you talking me that he alone is more dangerous than three of them?" Wasn't that too much? He might be a prince of Brittain from his words.

"Ah, this is why newbies are dangerous. Listen up well, and obey. This guy might not be next-in-line for title of boss, but he still is boss' son. He was often target of others and what you should know is that there were originally four big shots in this city. The fourth guy had a long rivalry with Raiders and tried to assassinate and kidnap Nikolas before using him to take the big boss down. Yet two days later after he had been taken, Nikolas appeared in bloody state while the next days news of the other fraction's boss being dead began to spread out. Not only that, an unusually large number of his men ended up being dead - or should I say, murdered as well. You can put two and two to be there, right?"

Alis gasped. She unconsciously shook her head in disbelief when she remembered how gentle and innocent his face looked as she couldn't believe that he was actually a murderer.

"You're kidding, right?"

"If only I were, everything would've been just peachy, you know," he let out a deep sigh to her question, "That actually isn't the worst of all. Three big factions can be considered rivals and usually have some arguments here and there, but no one is so bold as if to issue an open war on them. Yet when he learnt of the state his son was in, the big boss of Raiders finally snapped and completely wiped the other side in a single day. Even now, they're still chasing after remaining members who miraculously escaped. He might not be next-in-line, but his father is willing to massacre the entire power group for the sake of warning others to nor dare harm his son. Do you understand now? Even if Nikolas fails to finish you off, his father won't let you off the hook either."

"Oh... And what about police?" after something as grand as that massacre, shoulder police interfere as well? They surely won't let them off the hook, right?

"No way, despite being a mafia powerhouse, it's precisely Raiders who control crimes here. In fact, you can say that crime rate here is so low that we almost don't even need the police."

"That..." Alis was at loss of words. As much as she knew mafia should be lawless and evil? Why would they control crimes here like they were the police?

"It sounds exaggerated when I say it like that, no?" he chuckled as they finally came in front of the shop, "But it's actually truth. As long as mafia here ain't doing anything dangerous, they won't touch us. So it's mostly kids around forming gangs here a.d doing misfits - nothing too serious though."

"This... Is completely different from what I had in mind," she glanced around and her body froze. Not too far from them was a police officer with his back turned to them. She had almost forgot that she had run away from home and that her family, no matter how much they hated her, would look for her.

Taking a glance at her way, Wolf only sighed. He could guess most of the deal by looking at her. What would a rich girl be doing in this part of the town and freeze when she sees a police officer?

Run from home.

"Come, we need to do something about that appearance of yours," he grabbed her hand before leading her inside of market and buying indigrents for food. After that, they came by a second-hand shop and bought some clothes for Alis before going back to their hideout.