Chapter 62: Golden Opportunity

CHAPTER 62:
GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

           WOLF GROANED as he opened his eyes, realizing that his head still ached like a bitch and that he still had the cold. Opposite to his sorry state, there was a girl smiling like a sunshine, as if she were in the most optimal condition ever, with a bowl of soup in her hands. She was looking at him with a smug smile on her face, brimming with pride. It was as if she was mocking him and saying "look at that, you dumbass - I actually made it" making his sorry state reach the bottom of depression.

To put it simply, she made him feel like shit while she felt mighty like some god or something.

He groaned as he sat up before raising his eyebrows in suspicion and then glancing at the watch on the wall next to him. He noticed that not much time has passed from when she left and frowned. Could it be that he had slept for entire day or week or something?

He tried to recall what happened, he remembered him greeting her and bringing her inside from the building, but...

He then glanced at the soup she was holding.

"You didn't make this, I can bet with my life in that," Wolf frowned as he stared at it. No, there's no way that those two were actually there back then.

She glared at him before pouting.

"Why do you think that? Why can't I know how to make a soup?" she protested and he raised his eyebrow yet again as his lips twitched. He would've killed her already, had it not been for that little part of his brain telling him that she wasn't worth rotting in jail for.

"You can't even fucking boil a water, much less make '5 minute cup noodles', so let's not mention something as, in your case, complicated as chicken soup!" he exclaimed, fighting the urge to scream it in her face.

"Nonsense, we already talked about this, the oven was at fault," she innocently defended as if what she said was undeniable principle of the world as he only tilted his head, followed by the sound of bones cracking.

"THE VERY FACT THAT YOU USED OVEN TO BOIL WATER FOR TEA SAYS IT ALL, YOU LITTLE..." he screamed in frustration before taking a deep breath. He should get a fucking Nobel for the amount of patience he had.

It was already a miracle that he didn't go crazy by now, even more that he haven't murdered her yet.

"What's so wrong about it?" she only asked, apparently unable to see anything wrong with what she was did.

"Oh my god, I'll get you a bloody microwave, just stop reminding me about that disaster. You blew up our only heater, for God's sake!!!"

It seemed incredible and totally unbelievable that it played out like that, but she indeed did blow it up by trying to make a tea. Unfortunately, seeing as Wolf was in another room and didn't see what happened - nor wanted to listen to her story until the end from the fear of his heart bleeding, he had no idea how she managed to do it. He only knew that she used the oven to heat the water.

And he needn't to know anything else.

"Forget it, give me that," he pointed to the soup as she handed it to him. He tried to ignore the urge to kill her as he started to eat. When he tasted the food that had already cooled down long ago, he found it to be too good that he immediately stopped caring about her.

It tasted like heaven, and saying that about a meal he had eaten more than he had drank coffee in his entire life said a lot.

Yup, definitely not made by that girl.

"Who made this, God! I'm willing to kill just to be able to eat this for breakfast every day until the end of my life!" he exclaimed before finishing everything in less than a minute.

"It's that good?" she asked in confusion. Since she came back, she was too lazy to do anything so just fell asleep somewhere on the sofa, and she only got up and immediately fed Wolf. It was cold, but due to her inability to cook, she didn't have time to warm it.

Nonetheless, that did nothing to ruin the taste.

"Good? If this is called 'good' then everything else is mud compared to it!" he threw back before giving her back the plate.

She only looked at him like he grew another head.

"Wait a second," he suddenly widened his eyes. If it wasn't her, then...

"Who made this?" he asked as a terrifying idea began to grow in his head.

"Daniel," she casually replied as if it was no big deal to have a member of mafia make you a meal.

He only blinked twice before suddenly gasping.

The idea in his head grew larger and larger with every passing second.

"Was there someone else with this 'Daniel' of yours when he made it?" please say no, please don't say that it was—

"Why yes, Nikolas," he shrugged her shoulders as he fell back on the bed. The idea grew so large that he could see explanation screaming at him, yet he still denied to possibility that—

"I met the two of them and they were kind enough to—" she coughed twice, "I mean, I was kind enough to show them way around as they got lost, and upon seeing you, Daniel felt pity towards your poor self and made you some food." She almost gave herself away.

Not that Wolf didn't realize it as he already knew her inability to find her way around, but he just had no time to argue with her as the truth about having infamous Italian Noble in their hideout and his right hand making him food hit him like a truck driving 200/mph.

Fuck!

"What the fuck? How could you just bring them here and let me sleep through it all?! Why the hell? Why have I been grooming you all this time for? You..." he gripped his hair in frustration before screaming. He was so fucking going to murder her, there was no backing down on it now.

"Why? You embarrassed or scared?" she laughed as she rubbed it in his face, "You were snoring like an elephant and you even stayed alone with Nikolas all the time, he could've easily killed you if he wanted, haha," she sneered at him as he met her gaze with a glare.

"No, you dumb idiot! We missed a golden chance, damn everything. They were our walking moneybags, do you know how rich they are? How great of opportunity could it have been had we managed to get a backing from them?! Fuck everything, they served themselves to me anr i slept it all through!? I'm such an idiot and you're even bigher!" he continuously cursed his misfortune as he was still gripping his hair.

It all began with Alice. She was his supposed to be his walking moneybag in the first place, but she had already joined the dark side without a single penny with no intentions of going back home to rip them off. And since he had no financial backer to do a single shit, much less attract new members, he needed to find another one.

And such a golden opportunity appeared and he missed it — no, he actually dismissed it as an effect from medicines back then — so of course he'd go mad from regret. Fuck the stupid cold, he ain't getting sick ever again!

Then he glanced at the plate he just ate from and food he could've, with a bit of effort, manage to eat at least every month, he only cursed more.

"More," he demanded like a spoiled kid.

"Fine, you animal!" she only showed him her middle finger, but did as told. The pride of successfully taking care of someone (as much as it could be considered as) made her step on her pride like it was pavement and continue being a responsible adult (as she saw it).

At the same time, in front of the factory the two were having their usual don't-try-to-murder-her and I'm-innocent routine, a certain someone appeared.

"This should be the place," Snake mused to himself as he stared at the parchment of map before smiling, "Here, indeed."

Without an ounce of hesitation, he started to walk forward, and had a look of anticipation on his face instead. His usual eyes filled with mockery now had a hint of joy as he thought how he could find a golden opportunity to get rid of Nikolas, while the smile on his face remained unwavering as always.

Whatever it was that he would find here, he was certain that it would help him against that pest.