17. Checkups.

Aqualad offered a hand to the bird on the floor and he took it gratefully, pulling M'gann up with him. "I do not think all this excitement is good for your heart, Robin." The Atlantian said as the little bird tried to wipe his face clean."Yeah, yeah, I know. Can't I have a little fun though?"

The boy wonder blinked lightly and turned his head to look at M'gann when the female martian placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

She gave her younger teammate a friendly smile. "Maybe you should go get cleaned up, Robin. I'll take care of this mess in the kitchen."

"You sure, Miss M?"

"Yes."

The thirteen year old nodded in response and grabbed hold of the IV stand, leaving the kitchen and turning down the hall to head to his room.

"Scream if you need any help!"

"Yeah whatever, KF!"

About ten minutes passed before the boy wonder entered the living room again, dressed in a different hoodie, jeans and a red shirt.

He made his way back over to the couch where Roy had been sitting the whole time.

Though, before he got the chance to actually relax again, the Zeta tubes activated and announced Black Canary's arrival.

She entered the living room and her eyes met with Roy's for a moment. They stared at each other for a few seconds, her expression seeming somewhat sad. A frown tugged at the archer's lips. Of course Batman told her about the disease as well...

Dinah moved her gaze away from Roy and focused it on the boy sitting next to him instead. "Robin, it's time for your checkup."

The Boy Wonder quirked a brow. "Checkup? I have checkups now?"

He was met with a curt nod from the heroine. "Yes. Every day, around this time until you're better."

He whined slightly in response before reluctantly getting up from the couch. "This isn't asterous..." Dick mumbled softly as he walked past Black Canary and towards the infirmary.

The rest of the teens got up to follow, but stopped when the blonde heroine held up a hand. "Stay here."

Wally opened his mouth to protest, but she turned and left before he could.

Black Canary made her way back to the infirmary where Robin was already sitting on the side of the white-sheeted bed, staring at the wall absentmindedly.

She walked over to the boy wonder and took hold of his arm gently, pulling the sleeve of his hoodie up to above his elbow. She raised a brow when she saw the moldy bandage that was covering the area where the IV drip was inserted.

She reached forward to touch it before pulling her hand back to look at her fingers, which now had a coat of white powder on it. "Robin...is this flour?"

Robin looked at her sheepishly and lifted his other hand to rub the back of his neck. "Well yeah...Miss M and I...got a bit messy in the kitchen."

"Messy in the kitchen?"

"Yeah, we had a food fight...kinda."

"A food fight? Robin-"

"Yeah yeah, I know excitement isn't good for my heart, but am I not allowed to have any fun while I'm 'sick'?"

"That is not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?"

The blonde heroine didn't reply to the question right away as she slowly peeled the bandage off Robin's arm. The boy wonder huffed, not really having expected an answer as he held his arm out for her.

Black Canary put the moldy bandage aside and removed the IV needle from his skin, causing the 13-year old to wince.

"Why are you removing it?"

"Because you don't need it anymore. Not now, at least."

"I don't?"

"No, you don't, but you still need to take the stand with you wherever you go, understand?"

"...why?"

"You need to keep the oxygen mask with you at all times."

Robin bit his lip and nodded lightly. "Hey, BC?"

"Yes, Robin?" Came the heroine's reply as she pressed a stethoscope against the boy wonder's chest, listening to his faint heartbeat. She furrowed her brows in concern. His heartrate hadn't improved at all.

"Have you heard anything from Batman?" Dinah blinked and snapped her gaze up to meet Robin's masked eyes. The boy's face was earnest and hopeful.

"Actually..." She hesitated for a moment. "Yes."

The whites of the ebony-haired boy's mask widened. "So what did he find?"

Black Canary forced a reassuring smile onto her lips as she put the stethoscope on the tray next to the bed. "He..." She bit her lip before continuing. "You've caught a rare sickness that's been going around lately-"

"Is it bad?"

"No. You're going to be fine. Batman found that no reports had come in about anyone dying from this."

The Bird brightened up slightly at that and Black Canary smiled faintly.

"The illness slows your heartrate and makes your breathing a bit harder, but it wouldn't actually kill you-"

"If it wouldn't actually kill me then why do I have to keep the oxygen mask with me?"

"Robin. Stop interrupting. You have to keep the oxygen mask with you and use it when needed, because if not, it could cause serious damage. That goes for your temporary weakened heart too. Understood?"

"But not fatal damage, right?"

"Robin."

"Okay, okay. I'll use it, but....how long will this last? And what's this sickness called?"

"...Batman didn't say and...you'll be fine within two weeks. Don't worry." The blonde heroine felt guilt tugging at her heartstrings when Robin looked relieved. She didn't want to lie to him, but the less stress on his heart, the better right?

Besides, if Batman somehow found a cure before the...deadline of two weeks and subjected it to his protégé while he's asleep or without him knowing, then Robin would never have to know that they lied. It's Batman. He'll find a cure somehow...right?