44. When Three Brothers...

"See?!" Roy practically screamed into Wally's ear as they shoved a piece of wall of them. "This is what happens when you watch him!"

Wally sheepishly grinned. I could have sworn he couldn't move before...

Roy rolled his eyes, happening to get a glance at the bird surrounded by four men in black, up ahead in the street in front of them. "Let's go." he sighed miserably, dragging himself towards the fight.

Wally winced. "I think I'm sitting this one out." he grunted as he suddenly collapsed, falling to the ground.

"Ugh," Roy threw his hands up in frustration, nudging the speedster with his foot only to find that he was unconscious. "You've got to be kidding me!" His voice was laced with exasperation and underlying concern as he gently picked up his brother before turning back and shouting in Dick's direction. "Get your ass here."

Seeming to comply, the bat appeared by the archer's side throwing Wally a look of concern and one of displeasure at the bodies of the four men sprawled on the floor. The archer didn't bother chastising the boy about his heart, those thugs were obviously french fries—weaker than small fries.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine." Roy said slowly, using one hand to ruffle the kid's hair.

"What happened to him?" Dick frowned in confusion.

"He got shot." Roy narrowed his eyes at the boy. "You remember, don't you?"

Dick only shook his head. "I guess I passed out before it happened?" It was a question, and Roy only nodded absentmindedly. Memory loss. His mind seemed to echo as he noticed the confusion in his brother's eyes. Pushing down the sadness and guilt he was feeling, Roy managed a smile, flicking the bat's forehead to get his attention.

"Ow," Dick rubbed his head, glaring at Roy in a particularly scary manner that only a bat could have. The archer secretly wondered if Bruce made the boy practice it in front of a mirror. He chuckled slightly at the thought, but froze for a moment when he realized... Bruce is Batman. Who knows what he could do.

"Why can't I remember anything from after we left the mall?" Dick muttered in discontent, breaking the archer away from his thoughts.

Then the thirteen year old looked up into his brother's eyes and in that moment felt closer to the truth than ever. "Roy, what are you hiding from me?"

-

Chapter 1 to 29 belong to the original author, HomicidalLunatic, "A Sick Bird" is still on that account, I have just adopted the book and continued it. Thanks for reading.

~Your (not-feeling-sane) author