76. Arrived

_=_

As expected, it was Alfred who opened the door. "It has been long since anyone knocked on our door like we owed them money."

"S- Sorry," Sebastian sputtered, obviously not expecting such a comment. He shot a glare at Dick before clearing his throat. "He is just. . . himself."

"Mr Treadwell," the butler greeted courteously, as though the above conversation didn't happen, his gaze falling to the bundled up boy who stood quietly next to Sebastian. "This is?"

"It's-" Dick's muffled voice started but was cut off by a painful squeeze of his hand.

"He's the son of an old acquaintance," Sebastian supplied with a smile. "I hope you don't mind."

There was a beat of silence before Alfred answered, a beat of suspicious silence characterized by the butler's slightly raised brow, but nevertheless he held the door open. "Not at all," he said and took a step back to let them in. "Let me show you to Master Bruce's study."

Sebastian ended the conversation with a polite 'thank you' and tugged an hesitant Dick from behind him.

The path to the study was walked in silence, Dick not daring to utter another word in fear that Sebastian would whisk him away before he got to see Bruce. He pretended to not know the turns and corners as they walked, knowing how perceptive Alfred was.

When the butler knocked on the door, Dick's heart nearly jumped out his chest, and when he heard Bruce's voice giving permission for the door to be opened, he nearly leapt into the room.

"Your 9 o'clock appointment, Sir."

"Let them in."

Dick felt Sebastian stiffen beside him and couldn't help but smile. Bruce did like spooking people like that, the fact that he had cameras all over the manor helped.

Alfred turned away from the door to face them. "If that would be all, I shall take my leave now."

Dick pretended not to notice how the butler's gaze lingered on him for some moments more.

Then he and Sebastian took a step into the study.

The door shut behind them.

-