37. Alive.

Disclaimer: Please note that Chapters 1 through 29 are not mine but belong to @HomicidalLunatic, the original story "A Sick Bird" is on that account and was adopted by me to continue, therefore, chapter 30 to 37 are mine and I do not know how the original story was supposed to go.

Forewarning: This will be a long, detailed and graphic chapter.

-

Have you ever wondered how one moment you could be on top of the world, then in another, down and dirty with you knee deep in mud?

Wally had never believed in miracles or magic, or in there being some higher being, but if they could survive this somehow, maybe he would reconsider things. He had thought things out clearly, the bullet would hit before the miniature missile, it seemed impossible, but Dick need to make it out of this unharmed, after all, there was a promise involved.

The speedster considered tossing the bird in the air, but he would need to dodge the bullet first then jump once the missile hit, catching Dick and losing all momentum, thus falling to the ground. Dick would be safe and Wally would be injured, unable to protect him further from anything, including the aftershock of the blast and flying shrapnel. Still, this was the best choice.

Wally knew that Batman was on his way, so he just needed to keep Dick safe till then. He just hoped he'd be able to time everything, after all, the bullet was already here.

Like clockwork, time seemed to speed up again in the ginger haired teen's eyes, with one hand he tossed Dick up in the air, successfully dodging the bullet when another shot was fired. Wally wanted to slap himself, this plan would only work if the man behind him was the only one with a gun. He wasn't.

The bullet had just ripped through the fabric of the speedster's jacket when he remembered something important, he wasn't KidFlash! He was Wally West visiting the mall with Dick Grayson, these guys knew their secret identities. This is bad. Immediately, Wally gave up on dodging the second bullet, jumping after Dick, but still, the moments pause ruined everything. Dick was gone.

Falling to the ground in confusion, Wally forgot about the bullet and the fact that he could run at super speeds. He crashed to the ground just as it exploded.

"Move!" Before he could react, he was being dragged away by an angry looking Grayson.

"Wally, are you crazy?" The huffing thirteen year old glared at his friend.

The speedster in question only gaped at Dick realizing he had forgotten another important fact, his friend was a bat, he could save himself.

"Glad you're alright." Wally rolled his eyes, about to get up.

"Don't." The boy pushed him down. "I know you don't like paying attention, but you've been shot."

"Geez." Wally glared at him. "I shouldn't have bothered then."

"Just stop doing stupid stuff." Dick glared back. "And stop worrying about me."

Wally's expression softened. "I can't. If anything happened to you, Batman would kill me."