34. Of Bats and Malls.

"Can we buy the mall?" Dick started, staring at the rows and rows of everything.

"No Dick." Bruce sighed, adjusting his tie. Bruce Wayne at a mall. He could already see the news heading.

"But isn't buying the entire building more profitable that buying everything in it?" The boy argued, waving his hands everywhere.

"We aren't here to buy anything." He sighed again, wondering how long they would have this repetitive talk for.

"But Bruce..." The bird whined, pouting and his eyes begging in ways that should be illegal.

The billionaire sighed for the third time. "Fine." Now, he could see it. Bruce Wayne buys Happy Harbor mall, is there an ulterior motive behind this move, or is it just another "Wayne expansion project"?

Wally and Roy stared at the two bats, gaping. "Seriously?"

"You're going to buy the mall?" Wally asked incredulously.

"I told you not to give the boy sugar." Roy sneered at the speedster, hitting him lightly at the back of the head.

"Hey!" Cried the ginger haired boy in pain. "I'm not the one who bought him Icecream!"

Roy looked at the ground guilty. "You know no one can resist when he begs."

"Yeah, I'm adorable!" The sugar crazed boy jumped on the archer, wrapping his arms round the auburn haired teen.

"Bruce..." Roy called for help but the billionaire was already talking to the owner of the mall. "Damn! What has this world come to?!"

"Alright, it's time to snoop around." Wally put on sunglasses. "While Mr B distracts the owner, we'll go and find clues."

"Batman already said there was no trace of the disease in the water." Roy snapped, trying to get the giggling thirteen year old off him.

"But we're here to make sure the dispenser wasn't anywhere near Uganda." The speedster smirked. "To be sure of course, because the B-man didn't thoroughly inspect the one at the mountain enough and almost chewed off M'gaan's head with all his questions."

"Um... Yeah." Roy sighed. "I'm sure after this we'll have to check out the manufacturer of the dispenser..."

"And the warehouse it was manufactured in." Wally groaned.

"And everyone who's ever touched that particular dispenser."

"Just to be sure." Wally groaned again, dragging Dick off Roy. "To the dispenser aisle!" he said heroically.

-=-

"Hey guys," Dick called them to his side. "There's not been a shipment from anywhere in Africa."

"And no contaminations either." Roy sighed, dropping the container in his hands.

"And no worker from Uganda." Wally fell to the floor.

"What's the name of the disease?"

The older teens froze at Dick's question.

"Um..." Wally looked at the archer.

"We don't know." Roy started his lie. "Batman never told us."

You see, none of the team knew Robin was dying, Robin himself did not know he was dying. Everyone was peacefully blissful because The Batman had kept it a secret from them. Bruce had only involved Dick, one, to keep an eye on him because he knew that his son had a knack for getting in trouble. Two, because he thought things through better when he knew his little bird was safe. And three, because Dick was a smart kid and could move the investigation along with his thinking, for example, the lead about the water dispenser.

Batman had overlooked the dispenser due to the fact he originally thought Dick had been infected before he stayed at Mount Justice. Now there was another variable, if he got sick at the mountain it narrowed down the search, and if it wasn't the water then...

"The pill?" Wally asked incredulously, suddenly coming to the realization. "Rob, I..."

-

Cliff! Okay guys, tomorrow I'm updating all my YJ stories, this one included. So, expect it. ((My phone was dead or I would have written more chapters today)) And guess what, another chapter might be coming up next (in a few hours cause I'm lazy and procrastination😂) !❤