Public Affection

"I am out." I respond to Niall.

He lets out a sign in frustration, "Well where are you out at?"

"The Cafe." Courtney laughs a little at my stubborness.

"By yourself?" I hear him fubbling for his keys.

"No. I am with Courtney."

"What?" I can hear the front door to the apartment slam as he leaves.

"Just catching up. She is cool Niall." I shrug.

"I am on my way." Before I can object Niall hangs up the phone.

"He is coming here isn't he?" Courtney raises her eyebrows at me.

"I guess so. I can't even have an hour to myself." I shake my head putting me phone back in my bag.

"It's because he loves you." She laughs. "He really just wants the best for you and I think you should give him a second chance, after everything he did do to you. I do believe, after what you have told me that that it is really in the past. There will be a struggle to get back to where you were before, that definatley for sure but you will work through it."

"What if I don't want to work through it? What if I don't there to be a Niall and I anymore?"

"Is that what you want?"

"Well-" I am cut off when Niall comes storming through the front door. He stops when he sees Courtney and I and stalks over to our table, pulling up an extra chair.

"Well hello." Courtney grins at him.

"What is this?" He looks back and forth between Courtney and I.

"We were talking about you." Courtney laughs. "Comparing how you are in the sack."

I giggle at Niall's red face.

"I am just fucking with you!" Courtney lets out a laugh. I wish I could have as much confidence as she does. "I just wanted to catch up with Charlie. See how things were." She shrugs.

Niall sits up straight looking me up and down, "Things are going fine."

"Mhm. Yeah." Courtney smirks, taking a sip of her coffee. "Of course."

"What does it have to do with you anyway?" He growls.

"She is my friend." I speak up.

They both turn to look at me. "And if you have a problem with that you can leave."

He looks as if he is about to say something but he stops himself.

"Well I really need to get going." Courtney gets up from the table, grabing her bag. "Nice catching up Charlie. Call me if you ever want to talk." She smiles at me before leaving the Cafe.

I let out a heavy sigh as Niall moves to her seat, "Why did you just leave this morning without even waking me?"

"Because I knew if I told you, you either wouldn't let me go or you would have insisted in coming along." I shrug. Niall's hand reaches across the table to overlap mine but I pull away. I see the hurt on his face but I can't do this.

"What is wrong Charlie?" Niall questions.

I need to tell the truth. He can take it right?

"I am afraid Niall." I look up into his eyes.

"Afraid? I scare you?" He scoots his chair around the table so he is next to me.

"Not physically no." I place my hand on his knee. "I afraid for myself mentally and emtionally."

He doesn't say a word, he just looks at me hopeful.

"I am afraid to get back with you because I am not sure what it will do to me. I can't take the constant worry of what you are going to do next. I am afraid of what you are doing to me. I am not the same person I was Niall." I take a deep breath, waiting for his response.

"I know you aren't the person you were before." He nods in agreement. "You are better than that. You are stronger, more confident. Way more than I could ever ask for, way more than I deserve. But I can be what you need Charlie. I love you so much and I don't think living without you in an option for me."

"I love you too." I look down at our hands that are intertwined. "But the lies, the betrayal, the deceit, I just can't do it. It is breaking me down inside where I don't have the energy to keep up with you."

"I know." Niall sighs, letting go of my hand, running his fingers through his hair. "And I hate seeing you like this but I want to be the one to help you out of the grave not the one burying you."

His response hits me hard. He looks so sincere as his eyes lock with mine. I want to wrap my arms around him because seeing him like this, the real Niall, reminds me how much I miss him. I totally forgot the fact that we are still in the Cafe with multiple watching eyes.

"Please say something." He begs. "I will confess my love to you right here right now. I will get down on my knees. I give zero fucks what anyone here thinks about it."

I giggle at his comment. "You won't do anything." I scuff.

Niall gets down on one knee and heads turn in the cafe as if he might propose, again.

"Charlie." He stops and whispers. "What is your middle name?"

"Rose." I whisper back.

He clears his throat, speaking up, "Charlie Rose Moore I love you more than I thought I could love anyone."

I hear an "awe" from the couple at the table next to us.

"I know I have fucked up so many times before and I am an arse for that. I never realized how great I had it until you broke up with me, showing me that bright fucking light. I am down on this dirty arse floor begging you to take me back, and this time you won't regret it."

I hadn't even noticed that I was crying, tears if joy of course.

"I will take you back Niall." I laugh a little when he stands up, pulling me up into his arms.

Everyone in the Cafe claps and a few people cheer. Niall takes my face in his large hands pressing my lips against his.

"I have missed this so much." He says taking a breath, out foreheads still touching. "I love you so much that I am willing to do some cheesy ass shit like this."

"And I love you for that." I can't keep myself from grinning when Niall takes my hand, pulling me out the door.