Chapter 1

Alexander

I stand underneath the awning of the bus stop with a sour look on my face. Not only had I missed the last bus for the night but apparently there was a gas leak at my apartment building and the entire building has been emptied of its residences. Leaving me sitting here on a bench in the light of the setting sun with nowhere to go for tonight and a dead cellphone sitting uselessly in my pocket.

To put it very simply today has been an absolute cluster fuck of events. I wish that I could have gotten the news about my apartment building when I was back at work because then at least there I would have had the possibility of making arrangements with one of my many friends at the office. Alas, that was not fate.

My eyes glance up towards the sky and see that dark clouds are beginning to roll through with the dark promise of rain. It feels as if I had merely blinked and then the entire sky has been filled with the darkness of heavy clouds. My skin prickles as the faint buzz of lightening fills the air. A sense of dread begins to wash over me as the low rumble of thunder rolls over the landscape and into my ears.

I can't stay here. That fact remains the most obvious as I rise from my bench and begin to power walk down the street in an attempt to not look as uneasy as I feel. Not a single person looks my way as I speed down the sidewalk and quickly cross as I see the bright yellow lights of a gas station. Rain just begins to fall from the sky as I throw myself through the door. The cashier glances at me curiously as I avoid all eye contact and slowly make my way through the aisles.

The sky has become as black as pitch and flashes of lightening dance across the sky, reflecting off of the white tile floor. Shit. What exactly am I supposed to do now? It isn't very likely that the owners of this gas station would simply allow for me to crash here for the night. Maybe they have a phone that I can use? I slowly make my way up to the counter and the cashier looks at me with a bored expression.

"You wouldn't happen to have a phone that I could use, would you?"

"No," He says apologetically. "The owners of this place are pretty anti-technology." I frown at his words. "You should just be grateful that there are even lights in this place."

"I see." I murmur. "Thanks anyways." He merely shrugs in response as I go to stand by the back wall and do everything within my power not to look out those giant windows. I can hear the rain water colliding with the pavement. I use that sound as my anchor.

This isn't Nevis. You would never hear this sound back home. Hurricanes can't reach you now Alex.

"Don't tell me that you have learned to sleep standing up."

It seems that my eyes have unconsciously flown shut and I open them with a start as I meet the eyes of the last person I want to see right now. My expression sours almost instantaneously as Thomas Jefferson scans over the candy bars, blatantly refusing to look at me.

"What the hell do you want Jefferson?" His eyes slowly drift over towards mine and linger there with a slightly annoyed gleam hiding within the dark shades of his iris.

"I thought that would be rather obvious." He turns his body slightly towards me. "I am at a gas station, so gas would be my first want, and now I am looking at candy bars. I will allow you to fill in the rest." I say nothing in response as I glare at him with every last ounce of my hatred. "Now, what do you want Hamilton?"

"Not to be having this conversation."

"Charming." He grumbles as he picks up a chocolate bar and inspects it carefully before setting it back down with the others. "But that doesn't quite satisfy my curiosity."

"Why should I give a damn about your curiosity?"

"Normally you wouldn't give it a second thought," he replies plainly. "but now I am not giving you an option to ignore it."

"And what will you do if I leave?"

"You and I both know that you won't leave."

"And why is that?" I cross my arms and lean back on my heels slightly.

"For starters, you can't ever just bite your tongue and walk away from a fight." He says with a faint smile, amusement crossing his features as I grip onto my coat sleeves tightly in an attempt to mask my frustration. "And secondly, you used the word if." He leans forward slightly, his eyes coming down slightly to my height. "You only ever say if when the chances of you actually taking that action is slim."

"Are you quite finished analyzing me?"

"For the time being." He murmurs as he straightens his posture. "Why are you here Hamilton?"

"Am I not allowed to be?"

"Well it is generally encouraged for you to be in possession of a vehicle when you visit such places." My face warms slightly as the flames of my anger begin to lick at the underside of my skin.

"When do I ever do what is generally common?"

"Very rarely, but I would also like to know why you are refusing to leave this place." I glance beyond him at the windows that are being assaulted by rain with such a force that I am shocked that it hasn't simply shattered. Jefferson raises an eyebrow as he covertly follows my gaze. I snap my eyes back to him as he looks at me with a blank, calculating expression.

"I can't go to my apartment." I mutter as he continues to stare at me. "There was a gas leak and the whole building has been emptied."

"Your friends?"

"I can't call them, my phone is dead."

"Mm." Jefferson looks away for a brief moment. He closes his eyes for a moment and I take that opportunity to take a slight step away from him. "Freeze." he mutters and i find myself begrudgingly obeying him. "Do you have anywhere to go tonight Hamilton?"

"Yes."

"Truthfully."

"No." I grumble. Jefferson merely sighs in response. Why am I telling him any of this? He and I aren't exactly on the best of terms. Last I checked he and I hadn't gotten along from the very first moment that we met at the office. I don't understand why he is even holding a conversation like this with me.

"Would you like to come stay with me tonight?" He grumbles as he looks away from me.

"Why would I ever want to do that?"

"Because you're desperate and currently homeless." He replies blandly, his words cutting into my skin like shards of glass. Just like always he doesn't pull his punches. "I am offering you a place to stay that won't call the cops on you this evening."

"How do I know that this isn't some sort of trick?"

"Because I would like to go home just as much as you would." he glances at the watch that rests on his wrist. "I recommend that you decide quickly."

"I refuse."

"Suit yourself." He mumbles as he turns his back on me, raising a hand in mock farewell as he heads to the door. A large clap of thunder booms through the air and before I am even able to think about what I am doing I am running after Jefferson and following him into the rain.