Chapter 26

Alexander

   I stare at my reflection in the mirror this morning with intense scrutiny. My hair is disheveled and my lips are glowing a faint shade of pink as they struggle to recover from the harsh press of Jefferson's lips on mine. My fingertips ghost over the flushed and tender skin. I don't understand. I have struggled in vain to try and formulate some sort of reason as to why Jefferson acted the way he did. We were talking about his deceased fiancé and then the next thing I know I am letting him lay his head in my lap. Why did I do that? Perhaps more answers are hidden behind that motivation. 

   My eyes narrow in thought as I lean agains the bathroom counter, my fingertips continuing to hover over my lips. Why did I allow him to lay on me like that? He and I don't exactly have the friendliest of relationships...well, I suppose when we aren't having sex, but that isn't important right now. 

   "You love me." I drop my hand from my face and grip onto the edge of the counter tightly as my eyes slide shut. "You love me." I can't get his voice out of my head. Just focus Alex, if you think about anything else then maybe his voice will simply fade away into nothing. Breathe. Breathe in. Breathe out. My muscles begin to relax slightly and my mind begins to wander slightly. That wasn't so hard.

   "Whatcha doin' Hamilton?" A husky southern voice whispers into my ear. My body goes rigid and my heart falters for a moment. I open my eyes and find amused brown eyes staring into the reflection of mine. He is standing right behind me with his head hovering just over my shoulder.

   "Jesus Christ, Jefferson." I breathe out in fright as I slump slightly against the counter, my head hanging down. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

   "Aww, did I scare you?" he cooes sarcastically. His lips are pulled into an amused grin as he rests his chin on my shoulder. "Maybe you shouldn't be trying to meditate in a bathroom with the door open where everyone can see you."

   "Fuck off." I snap, being careful to look away from him. He wraps his arms around my waist and lifts me off of the ground. My skin begins to burn from the contact of my clothed back with his bare chest. I cling onto the bathroom counter with a vengeance as my feet continue to hover over the floor. Jefferson chuckles at my actions before easily pulling me away from the counter leaving me only to grip onto his arms, certainly to his satisfaction. "Let go of me!" I kick my legs out in a futile attempt to break his grasp on me, but it remains irritatingly solid. 

   "I told you last night, I don't want to." I can hear the smile in his voice and it only heightens my irritation with the situation. I scream in aggravation as he carries me through the hallways of his house, taking me to a part of the house I have never been in before. He ignores my attempts to kick at his legs, simply holding me in such a way that my legs won't be able to reach without me straining to kick him. "There is no need to struggle so much." He murmurs into my hair making me groan in annoyance. "Just relax and have a little fun." 

   "Where the fuck are you taking me?" I grumble in annoyance as he pulls open a door and carries me inside. The walls are covered with shelves of books and giant windows that illuminate the entire room with early morning sunlight. I had no idea that Thomas had his own personal library here. I would have been in here so much sooner if I had only known that it had existed. I blink in surprise as my feet are once again touching the ground. I try to take the opportunity to make a break for my freedom, but I am quickly pulled into Jefferson's lap and held prisoner again. "What the hell man, just let me go already!"

   "I thought you would want to talk to a mutual friend." he chuckles as he gives my stomach a gentle squeeze, pulling me closer to him. "It's two birds with one stone really. I get to talk to Laf and I get to be with you." My face blanches as I look over at the laptop set up right in front of us as Laf's Skype account name and image pop up on the screen as it rings. 

   "Don't accept the call." I say seriously. A feeling of panic beginning to claw its way through my chest. 

   "Don't be ridiculous Alex."  He chuckles as he reaches around me to accept the call. "I'll protect you from the big bad Laf." He whispers into my ear teasingly making a faint shiver race down my spine. Lafayette appears on the screen and his smile instantly grows five times wider as he looks at the two of us. 

   "Don't you two look cozy." He says with a grin. Jefferson laughs as he rests his chin on my shoulder causing me to curl in on myself slightly. 

   "It's nice to see you Gilbert." Lafayette cringes slightly at the mention of his first name, making Jefferson chuckle once more warming the skin of my neck. "How have you been?"

   "I've been well," He stares directly at me. "But I am more interested in what is going on over there." 

   "Not too much." Jefferson replies chalantly. "Is there anything going on with you Alexander?" I flinch slightly at the sudden direction of attention to me. 

   "No...not much at all." I mutter quietly in discomfort. Lafayette looks at me curiously but doesn't say a single word about my uncharacteristic silence, but I am certain that it has been noted. Jefferson glances over at me briefly, he holds onto me a little tighter and rubs small, slow circles into my sides with his thumbs making my eyes flutter shut.

   "This living arrangement hasn't been too bad, I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised." Jefferson replies confidently, filling in for my typically chatty responses. 

   "It certainly looks like you have two have gotten a bit closer to one another." My lips twitch slightly at the way that he refrained from saying comfortable. I look up at him with silent laughter and his expression softens as he watches me relax slightly. "What do you think Alexander?"

   "It hasn't been too bad. No one has died yet." 

   Jefferson chuckles briefly, his shoulders rising and falling quickly with his laughter. A small smile dawns on my lips at the sound of his laughter and the feeling of his body against mine. I have never felt this warm before. 

   No, stop it. Slow down before you hurt yourself.

   "That's a relief," Lafayette replies dramatically. "I rather like both of you." 

   "We rather like you too." Jefferson replies cheekily. 

   "Uh huh, sure you do Jefferson." Lafayette laughs with a teasing smile. "Pretty boys always say the prettiest words." Lafayette calling him pretty makes my chest tighten slightly and I blink in confusion at the feeling. 

   "Don't get too swept up in your narcissism Laf. Sleeping with your mirror reflection isn't exactly approved of." Lafayette laughs heartily while flipping off Jefferson causing for the both of us to laugh. 

   "Va te faire cuire le cul." He says through his laughter. Jefferson's nose crinkles in distaste as I laugh at his reaction. He looks over at me before abruptly hanging up on Laf.

   "You think that's funny do you?" He murmurs with a smile as he turns me towards him. My laughter slowly dies down as I come face to face with Jefferson. "You have a rather rude sense of humor." 

   "Don't sound so surprised." He hums in response as he brings a hand up to my face. He grabs onto my chin and gently turns my face in such a way that I am looking directly into his eyes. My blood feels like it is boiling as he stares directly into my eyes as if he were trying to commit them to memory. 

   "I rather enjoy times like this." He murmurs. My heart is racing in my chest as the constant pressure of his fingers on my face grants me no peace. 

   "Like what?"

   "When I have you all to myself like this." He replies smoothly. "No Washington, no friends or nosey coworkers popping in at random moments. It's just you and me. I wouldn't trade that for anything." 

   "You sure move fast." I mutter.

   "You sure cause quite a reaction." he retorts making my face flush. "I only wish you felt the way I feel."