Chapter 47

Jefferson

   Rain continues to tap against the window pane, a low rumble of thunder roaring in the distance. Alexander is fast asleep beside me, his body completely swaddled in the plush blankets of my bed.I glance over at him with a smile as he peacefully continues to sleep, his fingers loosely holding onto the blanket's edge with sleep loosened fingers. His face is serene as he sleeps through his first storm without waking. I run my hand over his head slowly, appreciating his silence and comfort as he quite possibly sleeps the deepest he ever has in his entire life. 

   I keep a hand rested over his slackened hand as I slowly return my attention back to my phone. Pumped up party music from a couple years ago blast through my earbuds as I scan over news articles, gossip articles, the status updates of my siblings and friends. Several of their updates have to do with Martha's upcoming wedding. I grimace slightly at the thought of my baby sister getting married, but I have no right to stand in her way of being happy. My eyes flick over towards Alexander briefly and realize that she would never stand in the way of the happiness that I had found, it is only fair that I grant her the same courtesy. 

   Videos of my siblings all together begin to pop up from several years ago on my Facebook feed. I have to fight the laugh that threatens to escape me as I glance at the unfortunate moments where the video decided to pause and create a thumbnail. The particular video that draws my attention is the video of me and Randolph drunk off our asses and making ridiculous expressions at the camera. I hesitate to select the video for fear of just how much it will make me cringe. I crinkle my nose as I tap the thumbnail and already hear the obnoxious sound of me and my brother shouting nonsense into the music filled air. 

   "Yaaa!" Randolph shouts and I have to cover my mouth my hand to hold back my laughter as he continues to act completely ridiculous in front of the camera. My sister's hand shoots out and physically pushes Randolph out of the way of the camera with her perfectly manicured hand. "Daammnn!" Randolph cries out in protest and I can't help the laugh that escapes me that time. My laughter quickly dies as the camera settles me and I am dancing atrociously to whatever booming song is exploding through the speakers. I can't help but grimace at the sight of my horrid attempt at dancing. This is why I am a politician and not a performer. 

   "You look ridiculous." A familiar voice breaks through the music and I jump at the sound of it. I crash my phone to my chest to conceal the screen, even without the screen's light I can still see his amused expression as he looks up at me sleepily. He interlaces his fingers with mine as he looks at my heated face. "Dancing really isn't your thing, which is surprising since you dance so much at home." He yawns. 

   "I was drunk." I mumble in pardon. 

   "That's no excuse." He mumbles sleepily, his eyes struggling to hold themselves open. 

   "Oh really?" I quirk an eyebrow as I remove both of my earbuds from my ears. "I would like to see you try to dance while that drunk." 

   He laughs quietly as he holds onto my hand. My expression softens significantly the longer I look at him. Moonlight illuminates his form as it filters through the drapes.

   "Then I guess you'll have to get me drunk...and play good music." 

   "Well, if you choose to accept the invitation that may happen sooner than you think." I grin, squeezing his hand lightly to keep him awake enough to reply.

   "What invitation?" He mumbles. 

   "A wedding invitation." His eyes open and he looks directly at me with a serious expression. I look back at him curiously. Well, that definitely seemed to get his attention. 

   "Is it someone that I know?" He inquires slowly. The question definitely peaks my curiosity, but  I choose to leave it be for the time being. It is far too late in the night to be trying to pick the brain of Alexander Hamilton and inevitably pick a fight with him.

   "Somewhat," I reply with a small grin. "You were jealous of her for a time." His eyes narrow at my statement before he angrily closes them. 

   "You have some way to ask someone to go as your date to a wedding." 

   "I never said anything about going as my date." I tease. He huffs in annoyance before ripping his hand away from mine and rolling onto his side, his back facing towards me. "Don't get angry." I murmur as I place my phone over on the nightstand before placing my chin on his shoulder. 

   "Don't mock me." He grumbles. I frown slightly before wrapping one of my arms around his chest, pulling him back into me. "What are you doing now?" He fidgets in my hold and groans in annoyance as I throw one of my legs over his hips, pinning him to me. 

   "I would think it's pretty obvious." 

   "Thomas, I'm really not in the mood." he grumbles. 

   "I'm just holding you." I tighten my hold on him and I hear him growl in annoyance at my persistence. "I didn't mean to upset you. There is nothing wrong with being jealous."

   "Shut up! That is not at all what this is about." 

   "Then what is this about?"

   "You haven't even considered it." he grumbles. 

   "Considered what, exactly?"

   "Has it ever crossed your mind that I don't like being made fun of about how I feel?" He snaps. "I told you how I felt and you sit here and mock me for it." 

   "I wasn't mocking you." I murmur, nestling my face into the crook of his neck. We lie in silence, Alexander seeming to curl up into a tight ball, slipping my body into a similar position. I raise an eyebrow at his actions, but I can't bring myself to say anything to him for fear of his infuriating skill to twist my words. 

   "You weren't going to take me...were you?"

   "I was going to ask you." I confess, digging my fingers lightly into the sides of his arms. "I was either going to go with you or I was going to go by myself, there was no third option." He eyes me suspiciously, studying me closely as if he would be capable to spot a lie simply by looking. "Also, you can't be angry with me." 

   "Why is that?" he asks in challenge. 

    "I have been open with how I feel for you since the start, you on the other hand didn't say a word about where you were emotionally until just a few hours ago. You can't be angry about my not asking you, since I had no way of knowing where you were emotionally or how you would have reacted to such a question." 

   "You still should have asked." he grumbles, turning his face away from mine. I smile softly as I close my eyes and find myself losing myself in his warmth. He can say such insulting words but regardless of what insults he throws at me I know that he will always choose to apologize fix what he can.

   "I suppose I know my answer now."

   "Yeah, no." He grumbles. 

   "You say that," I chuckle. "but I imagine that you would be the first one dressed when it comes to the actual evening." 

   "Idiot." He mumbles bitterly. 

   "Perhaps." A quiet laugh escapes him as I nuzzle into his neck. "But it would seem that I am your idiot." 

   "I'm just glad that you're able to admit that you're an idiot." he teases. I roll my eyes before closing them and doing what I know Alexander hates more than anything, fall asleep while holding onto him.