Chapter 37

Alexander

I hate to admit that Thomas Jefferson's kisses are beginning to become a drug to me. No matter how I hard I try to fight the addiction or the allure I always succumb. My lips are still tingling as I remember the way his lips brushed against mine and his tongue would sweep past. He was too good at what he did. Perhaps even sinfully good at the act of kissing. Every time we kiss I find myself to be falling underneath his spell and influence. He could ask just about anything of me after kissing me and I would most likely go through hell to make certain that it was accomplished for him.

As much as it pains me to admit, it is a necessary truth that needs to be admitted at least on a personal level, I am very quickly falling underneath his spell. I find myself at random times thinking about what it would be like to claim him for myself. To have such a man all to myself and never have to consider sharing him with any other man or woman. It is painfully tempting, but life is far too complicated at the moment for anything resembling my fantasies to ever come to fruition in the realms of reality.

I have also considered what will happen between us once we are permitted to return to work. Will the displays of affection diminish or will they remain constant? Will our relationship at work remain the same as it has been since our first meeting, or will it closely resemble what it has evolved into here at Jefferson's home? There are several uncertainties about the near future and the consequences these uncertainties may unfold unto our lives, both professionally and personally. Relationships in the workplace had always been something that I condemned in silence, never finding it to be my place to comment or force people to desist. Such actions would surely never have helped my popularity around the office, but now I find myself at a crossroads. I have found myself to be in something rather closely resembling a relationship with Jefferson and I don't honestly know how to go forward from here.

Do we merely pretend that there is nothing different between the two of us once we return to the office? Would anyone suspect that there is something budding between the two of us since we have been forced to share such a close proximity for almost a month in total? Our time alone is beginning to draw short and it fills me with a growing sense of anxiety, but also relief as my twitching fingers finally are being promised something to work on and complete. Being away from my work has been a torment, however it didn't come without a few pleasures mixed amongst the irritation and the blatant boredom. Warm breath fans over the back of my neck and I can't help but jump in surprise at the sudden sensation.

"So deep in thought," Jefferson's deep voice surrounds me as he chuckles and wraps his arms around my waist. "what could you possibly be thinking about with such a serious face?" He snuggles his face against mine softly, his stubble brushing against my cheek, my eyes closing slightly from the sensation.

"Nothing of significant importance."

"I find that rather difficult to believe." He murmurs. A slightly panicked gasp escapes me as he leans back and we both begin to fall. I dig my fingers into his arms as we fall, he simply chuckles as we fall into the couch. His body is completely reclined on the couch and I am forced to lie on top of him with my back pressed to his chest. Thankfully he can't see my expression, otherwise he would have seen how flushed my face has become at such a situation. "Tell me what is going on inside of that gifted mind of yours." He murmurs in such a way that makes me shiver.

"I was just thinking about work." I whisper in response.

"That excited to get back, are you?" He teases. "Don't you worry, there is only a little bit less than a week left of your house arrest and then you can work yourself sick all over again." I smile slightly at his words and unconsciously cover his hands with mine as I stare up at the ceiling. He sighs softly before laughing lightly making me bounce slightly on his chest.

"What's so funny?" I ask with a faint smile, turning slightly to look at him.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." He says through his chuckles. I never noticed how his eyes close when he is genuinely laughing. It is something that I wish I could watch over and over again until the day I die.

"Tell me." I grin unabashedly as I allow myself to be swallowed up by the light and warm sound of his laughter. "Come on, tell me." He tightens his grip on my waist, careful to keep my hands atop of his.

"I was just thinking about how vulnerable you have made your ears." He whispers, blowing a soft puff of air on my ears to prove his point. I cover my ears hastily and glare up at the ceiling. I should have known better than to have allowed myself to have gotten too comfortable around him. He chuckles again as he plants a kiss on my right hand and my wrist, peppering the skin with sweet kisses in an attempt to persuade me to lower my shields. I hesitantly lower my hands and he plants gentle kisses on my cheek and temple, small fires beginning to burn in my skin warming me from the inside. "Don't worry precious, you're safe for now."

"For now." I grumble. My heart fluttering slightly at his use of the word precious in reference to me. It is strange how such a simple word can make someone feel so special...and so loved with just a single utterance.

"Take these blessings when they come your way." He teases, nuzzling my cheek. "I'm not looking forward to returning to work." My heart flutters in my chest and I force myself to remain calm as I ask my next question.

"Why is that?"

"I don't look forward to not being able to spend my entire day with you." He holds me tight. "It makes me sad." The last part leaves his lips in a mumble that would be barely comprehensible if I wasn't laying so close to him.

It makes me a little sad too.

"Don't worry about it too much." I murmur, giving his hand a brief squeeze.

"Hmm?"

"I'll be here when you wake up and I'll be going home with you...so no matter what you always have a monopoly on my time." I mumble, the words making my body tingle and burn with embarrassment, yet somehow knowing that the words needed to be said.

"That is the cutest thing you have ever said to me." I feel my face begin to burn as I look away from him.

"Don't make me regret it." I grumble.

"Say some more cute stuff." He demands with a grin. His fingers ghosting over my stomach teasingly.

"Shut up!"

"Come on, do it one more time for me!"

"I told you to shut up!" I yell out in embarrassment, keeping the secret of my happiness hidden within my heart.