Chapter 72

Thomas

   The day has passed by with a rather comfortable slowness. Alexander's presence has offered a peculiar sense of solace, relieving the pressure that had been resting on my chest allowing my heart to beat without any resistance. He is currently resting beside me, his arm draped over my chest as he stares off into space. I run a gentle hand down his side enjoying the warmth of his body against mine before resting my hand on on his hip. Intelligent eyes peer up at me, drawing a natural smile from me. His eyes flutter closed as I tuck his head underneath my chin, his soft hair tickling my skin.

   He doesn't say anything as he throws a leg over my hips, pulling himself closer to me. A gentle hum escapes his lips as he rests his head in the crook of my neck. The warmth of his breath raises goosebumps on my skin. No words need to be exchanged between us as I hold him close, cradling his head in the palm of my hand while also resting another hand on his raised leg. There is so much love here. Love on a level that I don't think I have ever experienced before. Martha had been a sweet love, but this love is complicated and deep. It possesses that extra depth that makes me want to sink in so deep that I never resurface without him holding my hand. 

   "I love you." He whispers. I blink in surprise at the sound of his voice, threading my fingers in his hair gently. His shoulders are trembling slightly as he clings to me. 

   "I love you too." I reply softly. He buries his face into the junction of my neck and shoulder, hiding his expression from view as he continues to tremble. "Alex, what's going on darlin'?" He simply shakes his head from side to side. "Is that a no for nothing is going on, or no you won't tell me?" He takes a sharp intake of breath before falling unusually silent again. "Alex?"

   A soft knock on the door halts our conversation, but does nothing to cease the tremors that are racing through his body. I remain silent in an attempt to dissuade whoever is standing on the other side of the door from lingering a moment longer. My eyes drift down to Alex who still has his face buried in the junction of my neck and shoulder. Now is one of the many times that I wish I could peer into that tempestuous mind and get right to the source of issue. Another knock sounds through the air and this time it is a little bit louder. I sigh in annoyance as I reluctantly peel myself away from Alexander who wastes no time in rushing off of the bed. I try to grab onto his wrist, but he evades me easily before running across the room and locking himself in the bathroom. 

   I stand for a moment in the intersection between the bathroom and the front door, wondering which situation I should confront first. The third knock on the front door answered that question. I pull open the door harshly, eyes shooting daggers, only to have my expression go slack as my eyes meet those of my mother. Her eyes widen slightly as the door swings open with such ferocity, but they quickly narrow as she regards my state of undress and unkempt hair. 

   "Hi, Momma." I murmur quietly. 

   "Hello," She replies hesitantly. "Am I interrupting something?"

   "At the moment no." I reply honestly, struggling to refrain from glancing over at the bathroom door. "Was there something that you needed Momma?"

   "Would it be possible for us to talk for a moment?" She asks hesitantly. "I don't want to disturb whoever is hiding in your bathroom, but this is something that you and I need to discuss." My eyes narrow slightly as I step to the side slightly, granting her entrance. She simply nods her thanks as she walks past me and sits down on the bed closest to the door. 

   "What is this about?" I question cautiously.

   "Two things, really." She confesses. "The first, would it at all be possible for me to meet whoever is hiding in your bathroom?"