Chapter 75

Alexander

   I awkwardly stand just a step behind Thomas, hand in hand, as we stand just outside of the front door. He isn't looking at me, but his grip on my hand is crushing. The muscles in my hand are aching in silent agony from the sheer strength of his grip, but enduring the discomfort in penitent silence. My heart is pounding in my chest as this night continues to progress in a rather surprising fashion. I had been expecting Thomas to shun me from his presence as he dealt with his family conundrum on his own. Though it would appear that even men such as the renowned Thomas Jefferson need the presence of another living being to get through a difficult patch of life.  I slowly reciprocate the pressure in my grasp, earning a brief glance over the shoulder before quickly looking away. I should know better than to expect too much from such a situation. Thomas hadn't said he forgived me, only that he loves me and that I will not be leaving his sight. Time and space are still required for him to decide on where to go from here and I refuse to hinder him in that pursuit.

   "This wasn't how I had wanted  you to meet them." he mutters. I say nothing as I look up at him hesitantly. His head is bowed as he stands underneath the yellow light of the front stoop. "That was supposed to be a happy occasion. There wasn't supposed to be any secret pregnancies or children. It had never even crossed my mind that these were even capable of being possibilities." 

   "The world moves in a peculiar fashion, no one really knows what to expect." I reply softly. 

   "The world, or its people?"

   "I would challenge to say that they both have an equal share of influence over the other." His eyes peer back at me slightly. "One cannot be properly judged without the actions of the other." 

   "And where does that leave us?" He asks softly. "Which one are you? The world or the people?"

   "I suppose that depends on one's perspective." I reply after a brief moment of thought. "How do you see me?"

   "Force of nature, unpredictable yet capable of creating monumental change in everything around you." His eyes harden slightly as he looks back at me. "But you are also capable of mass destruction." 

   "After every destructive storm there is always growth and new life, if you choose to continue with the metaphor." 

   "I don't have the energy to talk about this right now." He turns his eyes back towards the door and pushes it open without preamble. My heart falters in my chest as he pulls me through the door quickly. Several pairs of eyes come to rest on us and I can feel my stomach drop by my feet as I struggle to fight back the nausea. "I want the truth. How many of you knew about my daughter's existence?"

   "Thomas." I murmur quietly, he tightens his hold on my hand and I wince slightly in pain.

   "We did." Two beautiful women step forward, one crossing her arms while the other fidgets with her fingers. They hold each other with such pride that it isn't difficult to spot the resemblance. I spot the sister that Thomas had identified as Martha sitting beside three teenagers, while what I assume to be another brother and sister of Thomas murmur to one another on the other side of the room.

   "Why would you keep that from me?" Thomas snaps. "You had no right!"

   "He's right Mary." The sister with the fidgeting fingers concedes. "He's our brother and he deserved to know." 

   "Jane, you know as well as I that he could hardly take care of himself let alone a child." 

   "That still doesn't give us the right to keep a parent from their child." Jane argues. I look around the room and see several rather confused expressions. It would appear that only a few members of the Jefferson family had been informed of the existence of their niece, there are a plethora of hurt expressions in this household. "Which leads me to discuss your treatment of Momma. No one is allowed to make that woman cry."