Chapter 18

Alexander

This can't be happening! This isn't real! I grip at my hair harshly as my ears burn from the lingering phantom brushes of his fingers on my skin. My teeth sink into my bottom lip harshly as I struggle to fight off the encroaching heat of a blush. No one had ever found out about my ears and by some accidental twist of fate Jefferson had to just barely graze them. My heart is pounding in my chest as my body continues to react in such a painfully obvious manner. Why is this happening? I sit down on the edge of the bed as I stare down at the floor.

Tears are beginning to brim behind my lashes as Thomas' face lingers behind my eyes. Every time my eyes close I see his amber eyes looking back at me. This isn't real. This is all a projection of my emotions. None of this could possibly be real. My fingers slip out of my hair and rest on my knees. This can't be real, yet somehow this feels too genuine for an emotional projection.

"What do I do about this?" I mutter. I can't remember ever feeling so conflicted and confused. Is anything that I'm feeling real or am I simply imagining everything? I don't know how I can possibly solve that question on my own. I don't think I can. My heart falters as the doorknob jiggles.

"You locked the door this time?" Jefferson murmurs with the faintest sound of a laugh. "Trying to lock me out of one of my own rooms Hamilton?"

"I don't want to see you right now Jefferson." I grumble as I remain frozen on the bed, attempting to ignore the frantic beating of my heart.

"Right now? So specific."

"Just go away, Thomas." I grumble as I hide my face in my hands. Why does he have to be so painfully stubborn and aggravating? I rub my face harshly with my palms as I hope for his departure.

   "Not until you talk to me." I glare at the door as the stubborn tone of his voice meets my ears. "Now open the door." I hit my knees harshly as I rise to my feet.

   "I'm not going to do that." I snap. "I don't want to see you."

   "Well, that is rather rude considering."

   "I think this is rather appropriate, considering." I quip.

   "Fine, have it your own way." There is a pause of silence outside of the door. I sigh softly as the silence permeates through the wooden barrier. He's gone. I fall back onto the bed and stare up at the ceiling. I jump at the sound of a grating noise against the floor outside. "I'm willing to wait." Jefferson's voice cuts through the door once more.

   "You came back." I mutter irritably.

   "What was that?"

   "Are you just standing out there now?" I ask with a bit of bite. "If you are, you must look like an idiot."

   "No, I'm sitting rather comfortably to be more precise." I can almost see the smug expression on his face just from the tone of his voice. "Don't you worry, I look quite intelligent at the moment."

"Ha!" I scoff.

"How long do you plan on talking to me through a door?" He asks with a quiet laugh. "I must admit that this is rather childish."

"I don't want to talk to you. How much more plain do I have to be?"

"You have been perfectly plain. However you are forgetting something rather important."

"And what would that be?" I ask in challenge.

"You are staying in my house." He replies drily.

"I'm painfully aware of that fact." I grumble. "Is that what you think I have forgotten? Don't be foolish."

"You are supposed to be smarter than this Hamilton."

"You ba-"

"Stop and think Hamilton." He murmurs, a note of amusement playing on the tones of his voice. "What could possibly alter this situation?" I say nothing as I stare at the door with a blank expression with taut muscles. There is a metallic jingle outside of the door and I frown at the sound. "I have keys to every room in this house."

"Then why haven't you used them?" I murmur after a moments thought.

"I am not a beast, I have no desire to barge in on you." He replies coolly. "Now that you know the true extent of the situation I will grant you the opportunity to open the door yourself or I will do it myself."

A quiet groan escapes me as I slowly make my way over to the door. I clench and unclench my fists as I reach for the doorknob. My hand trembles slightly as I unlock the door and rest my palm on the handle. The door opens slowly and I peek around the door and find Jefferson sitting in a chair with his legs crossed at the knee, his eyes locked onto mine. My heart falters at the sight of his undivided attention on me but I stand my ground and refuse to look away from his unwavering gaze.

"I opened the door." I murmur.

"I can see that." He murmurs in response. "I'm surprised honestly, I never thought you would open the door on your own."

"Shows how little you know me." He smile in response as he rises to his feet. I shrink back slightly as the door opens more and Thomas stands in the doorway.

"Shows just how little I know you." He murmurs in response. He leans against the doorframe as he regards me with crossed arms and attentive eyes. I shift my weight slightly as his gaze on me begins to grow slightly uncomfortable. My skin begins to grow itchy the longer he stares at me. "There is something that I would like to talk to you about, Hamilton." My gaze wanders slightly before returning back to his face.

"What is it?"

"I want to make a deal with you." He states plainly.

"What kind of deal?"