Chapter 49

Thomas

Sitting in between the former Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton is just as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. Phillip and his siblings are running around in the backyard, having the time of their lives. The sound of their laughter causes me to grant a small smile and ignite a flame of envy within my chest. I wish I was able to be that ignorant of the tension that is floating around the two adults. Alexander sitting beside me offers very little comfort or reprieve as the wrathful gaze of Angelica Schuyler Church rests upon my face, her gaze very rarely shifting between myself and Alexander. I shift uncomfortably underneath the weight of her gaze, Alexander shifts beside me as he tries to draw her attention but to no avail. Those intelligent and angry eyes remain determinedly fixed upon me.

"Why are you here?" She asks pointedly, there is no beating around the bush as she stares at me with blatant dislike mixed with what appears to be curiosity.

"Angelica." Eliza scolds, turning towards her sister slightly. Angelica looks unphased by her sister speaking, keeping her eyes firmly trained on mine until I am damn myself to answer her inquiry. "He hasn't done anything to you, or to me, so stop this."

"I'm here because Alexander wants me to be here." Eliza closes her eyes as Angelica scoffs in response. It would appear that I have answered incorrectly. I look over at Alexander and see that his eyes have become closed off as he looks over at his ex-wife and former sister in law. His expression is as blank as slate and it is obvious that his mind is just as absent, leaving me entirely alone in this situation.

"He wants you here?" Her eyes are steely as she rises to her feet. I look her over appraisingly as she towers over the table and her eyes remain locked upon mine. She is still as beautiful as she had been when we began our correspondence a few years ago. Although, I must say, I find it rather fitting that she had ended our correspondence due to her loyalty to Alexander, but now it would seem that loyalty has mutated to a simmering rage within her. "Come with me."

"Beg pardon?"

"I said to come with me." She repeats slowly, her fingers pushing back stray strands of her curly hair from her face. I look at her curiously before slowing rising to my feet. Alexander grabs onto my wrist tightly before I can walk away from the table. He looks up at me with silent question. I can hear his voice in my head demanding that I sit my ass back down and stay by his side. I grant him a gentle smile as I cover his hand with mine, causing a small frown to form on his face.

"Angelica, enough of this." Eliza pleads.

"Eliza, there is no need for you to stress yourself unnecessarily." She replies seriously, the harsh edge in her voice dropping slightly. "Thomas, if you would follow me." Alexander tightens his hold on my wrist as Angelica leaves the room without a backward glance, simply expecting me to follow. His expression is deadly as I gently uncoil his fingers from around my wrist. I can feel his eyes scorching holes into the back of my neck as I follow after the eldest Schuyler daughter.

   It is a rather interesting experience to be walking through the hallways of what used to Alexander's home, the home he had made with his wife Eliza. There a vast number of pictures that adorn the walls, a sharp sting shocks through my system as I catch a glimpse of Alexander and Eliza looking at each other with genuine affection in several of the shots. Angelica doesn't say a word to me as she walks through the hallways without a backwards glance or the briefest pause of hesitation. She wordlessly enters into what I assume to be Alexander's office, hovering behind the door as she waits for me to enter.

   "What is all this about, Mrs. Church?" I question. She stares at me harshly as her hand remains fixed on the wooden surface of the door. Her hand remains flat and tightly pressed against it as if she is stabilizing herself. I raise an eyebrow slightly in question, but say nothing more until I am certain that she will respond to anything that I choose to say to her. 

   "He told me the same thing." she murmurs. I say nothing as my mouth suddenly runs dry. "I wish to warn you." 

   "Consider me warned." 

   "You need to understand." She responds seriously. "I cannot allow you to leave in good conscience without you knowing." 

   "Mrs. Church, I don't wish to hear anything about Alexander that you think will dissuade me from wanting him." 

   "You are not the only one who has ever wanted him." I sigh, as her words sink in and I am left struggling to maintain my composure as I tread across the room with strained strides. "First it was John Laurens, then it was me, then Eliza, and now you." 

   "He has gained the admiration of several individuals. That isn't a crime." 

   "His track record isn't the best." 

   "Neither is mine."

   "You aren't really seeing what I am trying to say to you." She huffs in annoyance. "He is only going to break your heart in the end." 

   "All because he broke yours." I mutter. Her expression darkens and I find myself to be growing a bit uneasy from the way she glares at me. She drops her hand from the door and opens the door with an air of finality. I glance between her and the open doorway, measuring the probability of this being some of trap that she has set for me. Neither one of us dares to make a move or speak a single word for an eternity of a moment. I finally dare to take a few steps forward before gaining my confidence and begin to cross the room with long strides. 

   "You should ask him about his deal with Eliza." she murmurs before I completely pass through the threshold. I glance back at her quizzically and find that her expression has become as hard as stone. 

   "What deal?"

   "That is something you and Alexander must discuss on your own. Find out on your own." She brushes past me quickly, leaving me to stand alone and confused in the middle of a hallway, thousands of thoughts racing through my mind wondering just how much damage Alexander has inflicted.