Chapter 61

Thomas

   The drive to the hotel was rather short lived as I am dropped off at the front doors, affectionately hold each of the twins for a moment before grabbing my suitcase and rolling into the lobby. Checking in to my reservation and going to my room is all a blur. I don't remember walking away from the check in desk, but the next time I blinked I am in a hotel room surrounded by generic wall paper and the same white comforter and white sheets as the last time I have traveled here. Everything in this room is absolutely identical to the last time I had been forced to stay in this hotel, but the static nature of this room isn't exactly a problem for me. I can't help but find it strangely comforting.

   I fall back onto the bed and stare up at the textured ceiling for a few heartbeats. My phone rests like an anvil in my pocket, scorching my skin through the denim of my jeans. I slide it out of my pocket and simply feel the familiar weight of it in my hand before resting it on my chest. Would Alexander be busy at the moment? It's obvious to the world at large that his work  means a great deal to him, sometimes I wonder what would happen if he was forced to make a choice between me and his work. Somehow, I don't think I would like his answer. 

   My phone starts to buzz and my heart begins to pound in my chest as I realize that it is a Skype call. Alexander's name is glowing on my screen and I falter, accidentally hitting the call accept button and am met by a rather annoyed looking Alexander.  He is glaring straight into my soul as he stares directly into the camera. 

   "You didn't call me when you landed." 

   "I..."

   "I asked you to do one thing and you couldn't even do that." He shakes his head and looks away from the camera. There are so many flickers present in his expression that I am left to wonder just which emotion he is feeling most keenly out of the storm. "You should have called me." 

   "I'm sorry." I sit upright and hold the phone with both of my hands. Treasuring the small portal that allows me to hold Alexander in my palms like this. "I ran into two little bumps in the road." 

   "What?" He glances back at me out of the corner of his eyes. "If you are trying to sound metaphorical it isn't working." 

   "I ran into the twins." I amend with a small laugh. "Not metaphorical, very literal." His expression softens slightly, but his glare is ever present. "Anna and Randolph had been waiting for me, we got caught up talking. That is still no excuse for me not calling." 

   "Yeah, it isn't." He mumbles. "What did you guys talk about?" I smile softly as he finally looks at me head on, granting me his full attention. 

   "Just that while I am here I will have to swing by Monticello and say hello to my family." I grin. "Nothing too major." 

   "Is Monticello your estate or is it your family's?" His dark expression fades away as he leans his face into his palm, looking at me directly. "When  you talk about it I get the impression that it is both." 

   "Officially it belongs to me, I did build it." He snorts and I look at him curiously.

   "Something funny?"

   "No, just imagining you doing any form of actual physical labor." He grins. 

   "Ha ha." I grumble drily. "It belongs to me, but I let my family stay out there anytime they would like to." 

   "So they kind of use it like a vacation home." 

   "In a way." 

   "So when are you going to head over there?" He questions, thin fingers reaching up and brushing a stray strand of hair back behind his ear. The action so small yet it makes me miss my home back in New York more than ever. More so the man living there than anything else in that entire state. "I can imagine your family is rather anxious to see you." A small grin tugs at his lips.