Chapter 46

Alexander

   A mug of warm tea is pressed into my hand as rain continues to hit against the window panes. Thomas keeps his eyes trained on me as he takes a seat beside me on the couch. The dip of the couch due to his sitting causes some of the blanket to slip off of my form, destroying the makeshift cloak I had created. I can feel his eyes resting on the side of my face, but I can't bring myself to look back at him as I sip at the warm tea that he had brought me. My nose has to fight the urge to crinkle in distaste at the taste of the tea for the sake of politeness.

   "You don't have to drink the tea if you don't like it Alexander." Thomas finally breaks the silence, his voice cutting through the air like silk.

   "No no no...I like it." I mumble, staring at my distorted reflection on the drink's surface. I don't have to look at Thomas to know what his reaction to my response is. My skin tingles in the same way it always does whenever he looks at me with that distinct expression of disbelief and mocking arrogance. I can practically see his singular raised eyebrow from my peripheral vision.

   "Then drink up." 

   "I...I will." I murmur with less confidence than I would care to display. His laughter cuts through the air as he grabs onto the rim of the mug, slipping it free from my fingers before bringing it to his own lips. I watch in silence as his eyes slide shut in relaxation as he takes a drink from the steaming mug. Thunder claps, shaking the house suddenly, I quickly cover my head with the blanket curling inwards on myself as I struggle to calm down the rapid rush of my heart.

   My eyes widen underneath the shield of the blanket as Thomas wraps his arms around my form, pulling me against his side. The heat of his body radiates through the blanket, warming my side as my heart begins to gradually slow. His fingers grip onto my arm securely, not hurting me as he holds me close. My eyes slide shut as I try to hear his heart inside of his chest. His hand comes to rest on the side of my head as I lay my head flat against him. There is a low rumble of laughter inside of him and my eyes narrow at the sound. 

   "What are you laughing at?"

   "You heard that, did you?" I assume that he is wearing that same teasing smile he always seems to wear when we are alone. The sound of his words seem to be bleed with his comfort and genuine amusement.

   "I did." I murmur. "What's so funny?"

   "I just find it funny that the first time you have ever willingly cuddled with me you are hiding underneath a blanket so I can't see you." he teases. 

   "This has nothing to do with you." I mutter. 

   "Doesn't it?" he asks with an air of mock hurt. "Hiding so you don't have to look at my face as you lean against me. I'm getting some mixed messages here Alexander." 

   "Stop it, Thomas." I mumble, tucking my knees up to my chest tightly. Lightening flashes through the gaps in the blanket. A shiver races through me and I can't fight it as it takes control of me. 

   "I was only teasing." He murmurs, pulling me close as he turns slightly and wraps his other arm around me. My eyes narrow as I feel his body shift, leaning bak as he pulls me with him. My hands reach out from beneath the blanket and brace themselves on his stomach as he pulls me down onto his chest, his legs surrounding mine. "It's okay you baby." 

   "Shut up. I'm not a baby." I grumble. He chuckles before moving his hand to pull back the blanket just enough so he can see my face. My chest tightens slightly when his eyes finally meet mine. I watch as they melt into pools of molten chocolate as he smiles at me, his arm wrapped around my waist as he simply holds me.