Chapter 70

Thomas

   An anchor seems to have just crashed against the inside of my ribcage a few hours after hanging up on Alexander. I feel that my meaning was poorly conveyed and more than likely was horribly misconstrued by the overactive mind of my boyfriend. The anchor collides with a few more ribs as it sinks deeper within my chest cavity, rattling my bones as I contemplate just what is going through the complex mind of Alexander Hamilton in this very moment. It has been exactly five hours since our phone call, I haven't been able to sleep ever since the call ended. Images of Alexander sitting on our bed staring at a wall blankly kill me.

    What in the hell does Martha really know about my life or relationship? She had just been introduced into the hell that had been my life for these past three years. It is true that I had been drowning these past three years but that had all changed after picking up Alexander that stormy night. He had changed me without even meaning to. I had viewed Alexander as a type of anchor for a while, but he wasn't the only thing holding me down, keeping me stable. I have myself to thank for that in part. 

   Moral of this story: trust your judgement over the snap judgments formed by ignorant baby sisters.

   I glance over at my phone, silently waiting for any sign that Alexander isn't upset enough to ignore my existence entirely. My phone screen remains frustratingly dark and absent of notifications or messages. Realistically, it is more than likely he is with his second love, his job. If that is the case it would be very difficult for me to come between them, especially from several hundred miles away. I roll onto my back and stare up at the ceiling as I wait for some kind of heavily sign or epiphany that will allow this guilty weight to be lifted off of my chest.

   I recall Washington having mentioned the night prior that I should begin considering when to return back to New York, if at all. He had made it clear that the choice to transfer my work to Virginia is a viable option, or I can pick an approaching date and return to New York. I hadn't really considered when to return to New York. Virginia had been my home growing up, but I don't think I could live here for the rest of my life. This place doesn't feel the same to me anymore, my home is wherever the other half of my heart lies and currently that is in New York. 

   There is a knock on my door and I groan in protest as I slowly roll off of my bed and cross the hotel room. I swear if this is any member of my family coming to try and patch up whatever holes they think they have created I will scream. My hand rests on the doorknob and I consider briefly the prospect of putting on a shirt, but quickly brush it aside on the grounds that whoever it is that is knocking on my door has decided to enter my personal space and they can deal with the consequences of such an action. I open the door and quicker than I could possibly understand I am on the ground with another body pressed against mine. 

   My eyes are shut tight as I try to ignore the harsh pain emanating from the back of my head where it had collided with the not so plush floor. Warm hands trace over my face and I flinch away from, parting my lips to say something rather scathing to my assailant. Plush lips press against mine and kiss me deeply, the taste of coffee with hazelnut creamer washes over my tongue and I hum in delight. I know this taste. Alexander hums happily as I thread my fingers into his hair, kicking the door closed to offer us a bit more privacy.

   "It's good to see you darlin'." I murmur in between kisses. "What are you doing here, baby?"

   "I missed you." he whispers. "I also wanted to remind you that you're mine. Whether you want me to be your anchor or not." My breath falters slightly as his hands wrap around my neck. "You're mine." He murmurs against my lips. "Let me love you, damn it." 

   "Alright." I murmur with a smile, wrapping my arms around his waist. "You win, darlin'." He sighs softly as I plant soft kisses along his neck. "I didn't say what I wanted to say correctly. I'm sorry if I worried you." He doesn't say anything as grabs my hands, threading his fingers with mine before pinning them beside my head. I can't help the grin that has formed on my face, the intimacy and sexual promise of the position has caused such a reaction in me. "I'm glad that you're here." 

   "Good to know that you weren't trying to break up with me." He grumbles. "That would have been a waste of money and time for me to come running to you like this." 

   "I'm surprised you didn't use one of my credit cards, just out of spite." I tease, tapping my fingertips against his knuckles lightly. "I probably wouldn't have held it against you." 

   "Probably." He chuckles. "The certainty is rather lacking in that sentiment." I simply smile in response as I look up at the man who flew several hours just to tackle me onto the floor of my hotel room. I would consider it psychotic if it had been anyone else, but Alexander somehow makes these peculiar actions strangely endearing. "I'm sorry for the surprise arrival." 

   "It was a good surprise." I hum. 

   "You hid the hookers rather quickly, I must admit." A harsh, unfiltered laugh escapes me as he smiles down at me. His eyes are glowing with affection as he watches me laugh uncontrollably.

   "Don't look in the closet."

   "Fitting hiding place." He replies with a tease. "Did you tell your family about me?"

   "I don't want to talk about them right now." 

   "I'll take that as a no." 

   "Alex," I sigh as I can't lift my hands to touch his face. An annoyed groan escapes me as I lift my legs and wrap them around his waist, a last ditch effort. He laughs quietly as I pull him down with my legs, pinning him to me. "You have been so careful about keeping this a secret from everyone. I wasn't certain that you would want my family to know just yet." He lifts an eyebrow as he stares into my eyes appraisingly. 

   "That was the only reason?"

   "That was it." He rests his head in the crook of my neck. His warm breath hits my bare skin, forming goosebumps from the closeness of his lips. "I missed you." 

   "I missed you too." He murmurs into my neck. 

   "Alex, you should kiss me before I lose my damn mind." 

   "Should I?" He whispers teasingly into my ear. 

   "Yes." I reply huskily. 

   "Say please." His lips hover just over mine, a mere breath away. The minty aroma of his toothpaste slipping past my lips and dancing on the tip of my tongue.

   "Please." I grumble. Alex is usually such a straight forward sort of soul, but when he gets into a teasing mood it is best to just appease him. It is better for both of us that way.

   "Good boy." He hums, connecting our lips together. I will never grow tired of the way his lips collide with mine. Every brush of his lips is like a lightening strike to my soul, and I am a willing victim to his destruction.