Chapter 85

Thomas

   The ceremony was breathtaking. From the moments I can recall: Martha looked absolutely stunning as she went to meet her bridegroom and only a few of my siblings sent Alexander and I disapproving stares due to our position on the opposite side of the cathedral. Despite the lingering tensions no one dared to say a word about the elephant in the room, a ceasefire had been silently agreed upon and a momentary sense of peace had settled upon us like a veil. 

   Admittedly, most of the wedding was a blur. My vision had faded in and out like shoddy cable. For a moment there would be a glimpse of my family and then the next there would be darkness. The last thing I remember from the wedding was Martha leaning in to kiss her soon to be husband. I thankfully don't remember the kiss as I lie in the trunk of my rental car with my head resting in Alexander's lap.

   A cool breeze travels across my skin causing my legs to curl defensively into my chest. Leaves dance in the breeze and gravel slips and slides beneath someone's shoes. I can feel Alex's fingers dancing through my hair. His nails expertly detangling my curls hold on his fingers without hurting me. My eyes flutter slightly as I consider briefly how good he has become at such an intimate task. It's difficult to remember that there was a time where we weren't doing this, that he wasn't mine. It's in these peaceful moments that I forget that he ever hated me and that I pretended to reciprocate the sentiment. 

   "Martha, sweet pea, let's not throw rocks." Alex chides gently. The tone of his voice is so paternal that I forget for a moment that Martha isn't also his. I peek out from beneath my lashes and see my baby destroying the bottom of her dress by mucking around in the dirt and building a mountain out of rocks. The white fabric of her dress is covered in dust and ground in dirt. I glance up at Alex irritably, why is he just allowing this to happen? That is a brand new dress and if she isn't careful she may rip it.

   "You just woke up and you're already glaring at me." He states rather incredulously. "I don't know if I should consider that to be an accomplishment or not."

   "Where is everybody else?"

   "I'd imagine they all went home for the afternoon." He replies simply, his fingers mindlessly toying with my curls as his eyes remain fixed on Martha. "The reception isn't until late this evening, so I think it would be safe to assume that everyone went home to rest until then." 

   "Mmm." I hum as I roll over onto my side, pressing my face lightly against his stomach. The warmth of his skin radiating through the fabric of his suit and warming my face. He chuckles lightly at my response as he places a gentle hand on my cheek.

   "How are you feeling?"

   "Drained." I mumble. "Did I fall asleep during the ceremony?"

   "You were...going in and out of consciousness in a few places." He admits, hesitantly. "I think your sister understood." 

   "Which one?" I grumble playfully.

   "The one dressed in white. The only one who really matters today." I wrap my arms around his waist, appreciating his warmth and the slight gasp that escaped him as my nose brushed his clothed stomach. "Do you think you are going to feel up to going to the reception tonight?"

   "I should be fine. I just need some more sleep." His thumb brushes my cheek slowly. The brush of his skin on mine is electric. My lips part ever so slightly as his thumb brushes the corner of my mouth, arms tightening around his waist.