Chapter 28

Alexander

   There is a peculiar air of peace that is shrouding over the entire household. I don't  particularly care for this feeling due to its painfully familiar sensation. This peaceful atmosphere that feels completely calm and tranquil, though every now and again you swear that you can feel the faint bite of electricity in the air, but it is always so brief and quick that you can never be entirely sure if you had simply imagined it or if it had ever truly existed. I know this feeling all too well. This is merely the calm before the storm.

   Jefferson walks around the house completely oblivious to the brewing storm. I watch him slide around his kitchen in his sweatpants and socks as his music blasts through the air, making the walls tremble slightly. This is the most dressed down I have ever sen Jefferson be in the entire time I have known him. He had always been keen on dressing as ridiculously, extravagant as humanely possible and I had never been able to understand the desire. Seeing him now as he sock skates around in his sweatpants and a loose t-shirt I am not entirely certain as to how I can react to such an experience. 

   His eyes meet mine and a childish grin consumes his features. I shake my head and look back down at my phone, scrolling through meaningless headlines.

   "No no no Hamilton," He laughs as he rushes over to where I am sitting on the couch. "You won't ignore me, come have a little fun." I look up from my phone and see him standing in front of me with his hands outstretched for mine.

   "You're joking, right?"

   "Not even remotely." He laughs. "Come on." He grabs onto my wrists and drags me off of the couch, making me drop my phone. 

   "Let go of me Jefferson." I struggle against him as he drags me across the room. He laughs at my efforts as he drags my socked feet onto the hardwood floor. I groan as the music changes and the song Temperature by Sean Paul begins to blast through the speakers. "Noooo..." I groan in distaste, my expression contorting in displeasure.

   "Don't like my music Hamilton?" He chuckles as he pulls and pushes against my arms in an attempt to get me to dance along. "Good thing this is only a youtube playlist, otherwise I might have actually been offended."

   "This is the oldest and most overplayed song." I groan in distaste, trying to ignore the way he is looking at me. My face is burning from the way his eyes are scorching their gaze into my skin. "I'd rather listen to anything but this." I mutter, the muscles in my arms beginning to relax and allowing him to control their motion. 

   "Done." He says quickly as he releases his hold on my wrists. 

   "What?" I blink in confusion as he slides over to his phone. I hesitate as the possibility of escape begins to cross my mind. My lips purse as I cross off the possibility noting Jefferson's stubbornness and his speed. A vaguely familiar song begins to play through the speakers and I can't seem to place it. Before I realize it Jefferson is back in front of me, his fingers interlaced with mine. I yelp in surprise as he pulls me out further onto the hardwood floor.

   He laughs as he glides me around the floor with him. The music thrums through the air and I find myself beginning too fall victim to Jefferson's whims. He chuckles as he pulls me closer and glides more than dances as he tries to impersonate a Spanish influenced style of dance.

   "What are you doing now?" I laugh as my eyes narrow and look down at the movement of his legs. 

   "Dancing." He replies simply, a goofy smile present on his lips.

   "Is that what this is?" I ask with a laugh. He glares at me through his lashes and I feel my chest tighten at the sight of his eyes. 

   "Don't be a spoil sport Alex." He murmurs as he continues to dance, pushing me away from him slightly. "You have nothing better to do, so just enjoy yourself for once." I sigh internally as I allow myself to be spun around, slightly moving to the beat of the music. When I turn back around to face Jefferson there is a bright smile on his face. My chest tingles slightly as the brightness of his smile melts into my heart. "I didn't know you could actually dance." He murmurs as he pulls me a little closer to him, our feet occasionally brushing against one another as we slide around the kitchen.

   "Again, is that what this is?" I ask teasingly.

   "Don't be a pain Hamilton." He chuckles as he grabs onto my waist and lifts me up onto the counter, startling me into wrapping my arms around his neck. "Aww, don't be scared Alex." He whispers with the faintest hint of laughter tinging his voice. I push him away from me and he laughs as he slides himself in between my legs.

   "What the hell do you think you are doing Jefferson?" I snap. 

   "Spending time with you." He whispers as he pulls me closer to him, pressing our bodies together. "You do like the song, right?" 

   "Sure, why not." I grumble.

   "I thought you might appreciate it." He smiles. I look at him curiously. "You're from Havana after all." 

   "Wait a minute, you think I'm from Cuba?" He simply smiles in response. "I have never been more insulted in my life! I have never even stepped foot in Cuba and you think I'm from there? I was born in Nevis, bitch!" My rage continues to boil and explode as he laughs at my response. "It is a totally different island you ignorant piece of shit! Get away fro-" A surprised grunt escapes me as his lips are slammed against mine. 

   He grips onto the back of my neck as I begin to fall back, my body going slack from the kiss. His lips are trembling slightly as he tries to hold back his laughter. My lips twitch in annoyance, but I am unable to say anything in response to my outrage. His tongue slips into my mouth, gently pressing against my tongue, inviting me deeper into his snare.  The music has gone silent and the only sound is our breathing as I am pulled under his spell. 

   Sparks of electricity rush through my bloodstream as our tongues slowly circle one another, tangling together and causing my face to heat. When was the last time that a kiss has felt this way? I can't even remember, but it has been an age. Jefferson rests his hands on my hips as I dig my fingers into his upper arms, leaving faint marks on his skin. The kiss is heated but slow, its burn is slow and lingering on my skin. He chuckles into the kiss as my grip on his arms tighten slightly. Time seems to slow down as we kiss, the world stops spinning to grant us even more time to enjoy this moment. 

   Time instantly speeds up as the doorbell rings and the kiss halts. My chest aches as he retreats from the kiss and looks at me apologetically. I watch in dumbfounded silence as he steps away from me and goes to answer the door. I sit there in astonishment for a moment before sliding off of the counter and running trembling fingers through my hair in an attempt to fix my appearance. The door opens and there is a pause of silence. Curiosity gets the best of me and walk over to the corner before the door and peek around it. 

   Thomas stands in the doorway and just beyond him there is a young woman. Beautiful. There is no other way to possibly describe her. She looks up at him with hesitant eyes as she bites at her bottom lip. I can't see his face as he stands rigidly in the doorway. 

   "Hi Thomas," She says softly, finally breaking the silence. "It's been a long time."