Chapter 55

Thomas

   Alexander has been strangely silent since our little rendezvous in the empty conference room. He stands beside me completely silent as we wait for Washington to finish his formal reprimand of our lack of professionalism, I think he is more upset that we ran out of the meeting and never returned more than Alexander having an emotional response to my taunts. Washington meets my eyes, but his words fall on deaf ears as I link my hands together behind my back, brushing my fingertips over my knuckles. The memory of Alexander's lips on my skin is enough to make me feel as if I am floating a few feet above the floor. 

   "You two gentlemen are expected to have the decorum to be able to get through a meeting without trying to get a rise out of the other." 

   Now I definitely know that was directed at me.

   "I shouldn't have to be concerned about the activities of my secretaries. You are both grown men and should be able to put aside all of your childish actions, Thomas." My lips curl into a slight smirk as he stares me down, pinning me to the floor like an anchor. "I definitely expected more decorum from you."

   "I do have a fair amount of decorum," I respond calmly. "However, I am merely a man and will never have perfect control over my whims and desires. I am merely mortal." 

   "I am not questioning your mortality, I am questioning your ability to cohabit with Hamilton as a member of this cabinet." I glance over at Alexander and see him stiffen slightly underneath my gaze. He clasps his hands together behind his back as he focuses his eyes everywhere instead of meeting my gaze. "This behavior cannot continue any further. I will not stand for any more of these antics, if it comes down to it I will have to end the employment of the instigator." My eye twitches slightly at his blatant threat to my career. Washington's steely eyes meet mine and I refuse to look away. If my employment here is to come to an end then I damn well refuse to leave here with my tail tucked between my legs. 

   "Stop blaming everything on him." Alexander's voice cuts through the tense silence. Washington is the first to look away, clearly caught off guard by Alexander's remark. "You keep painting him as the only instigator of these actions. You and I both know that it is both an untrue and unfair portrayal of his character." I look over at Alexander and see that his hands are trembling slightly, despite his fingers being so tightly clenched together behind his back. The emotion behind these tremors is uncertain, but is clearly powerful enough to awaken the storm that has been laying dormant inside of Alexander. "Perhaps it is time for you to assess your role in these occurrences."

   "My role?" Washington asks coolly. 

   "You refuse to accept the possibility that these actions you deplore so greatly are incited by your own negligence." The air crackles with tension between the two men and I can't seem to figure out who to rest my eyes on. "If you had established a system where both sides could properly represent their ideas then perhaps this situation would not be a reality, but you have refused to make any changes which resulted in our feeling the need to take jabs at one another in an attempt to gather more of your attention and possibly your respect." 

   "Hamilton, you are making some rather large claims." 

   "Are you able to prove any of them to be false?"

   "I would be careful on how you choose your next words." 

   "Are you?" Alexander presses, his expression tense. I shift my weight slightly and Washington's eyes instantly return to me. 

   "What is this?" he questions, eyes flitting back and forth between the two of us. "You two have never acted this way about one another."

   "Answer the question, George." Alexander replies tersely. "Is anything that I have said proven to be false? Or are you simply inclined to pin the blame on Thomas because you believe that to be what I want?"

   "Alex..." I move to stand behind him, resting one of my hands on his shoulder while the other wraps around his trembling, knotted fingers. His body ceases its trembling once our skin makes contact and there is an audible sigh of relief that escapes his lips. "I think this is a conversation that needs to be held at another time." 

   "No," Alex murmurs. "I want to hear his answer." Washington sighs deeply, running a large hand over his features, swiping away the aggravated exhaustion. "I'm not going to wait till later to hear it. Either he tells me now or he will never have the opportunity to answer." I squeeze his hands slightly and his only response is to untangle his fingers and wrap them around my hand. 

   "I'm disappointed that you think so little of me, Alexander." Washington murmurs, a distinct gleam of hurt shining in his dark irises. "You really think that I would simply get rid of Thomas for you?" Alex remains silent as he tightens his hold on my hand slightly, his silence being the only answer that any of us need. "I don't have to explain myself to either of you, however, I do owe you an apology Thomas." I say nothing, simply nodding in acknowledgement. He frowns at my silence, but seems to accept my response, looking back at Alexander briefly before turning on his heel and returning to his office assumedly. 

   Alex slumps, leaning back against me as his eyes slide shut. A quiet sigh escapes him as he leans all off his weight against me, taking comfort in me supporting him. A small smile graces my lips as he leans his head back against me, resting in the junction of my neck and shoulder. The sound of his breathing is comforting, but it is a bit unnerving how little he is talking at the moment. It isn't like him to simply remain silent after a confrontation like that.

   "Are you going to be alright?" I murmur into his ear. He shakes his head slowly from side to side, not saying a word as he melts against me. My hand slips away from his shoulder, sliding down his arm before wrapping around his waist tightly, pulling him flush against me. He chuckles quietly as I pull him through the hallway, carrying both of us into my office. His feet drag against the tile floor as he forces me to do all the heavy lifting. It is only when the door to my office clicks shut does he erupt into a fit of giggles, quickly turning into robust fits of laughter. 

  "What's so funny, darlin'?"

   "You're holding me." He laughs. I hum in response as he continues to laugh. "You always hold me when i'm like this." He giggles as I nestle my face into the side of his neck, peppering small kisses on his skin.

   "To think I was all worried." I murmur before grazing my teeth over his skin. "You were so quiet, but now you can't stop laughing." I bite down gently on his shoulder, his body shaking slightly from the feeling. 

   "Thomas, please don't do this now." He murmurs.

   "Shh, it's alright." I hush. "It's alright." 

   "Did I fuck up?" He whispers. I pull away from his neck and he turns his face away from me. "I don't regret standing up for you, but did I go too far?"

   "Alex-"

   "I don't want this to ruin everything." I grab onto his chin and guide his face back towards mine, his eyes meeting mine, his usual fire absent from his eyes. 

   "Baby," he shivers as I whisper the new name. "don't worry about Washington. You did nothing wrong. You know deep down that you didn't do anything wrong, so please don't worry about it."  I press my forehead against his, my eyes sliding shut as his warm breath fans over my face. "Relax. I want you to know that whatever happens that I will be there to catch you, I told you this before. Remember?" 

   "Yes." He mumbles, his voice soft. 

   "Then please trust me to support you and protect you from whatever you think is coming." 

   "Why do you always say such cheesy things?" He sighs.

   "I would like to think of them as poetic, but cheesy works." I kiss the tip of his nose. "Like it or not it comforts you, so don't bash on my Hamilton comforting techniques."

   "Fine." he grumbles slightly before smiling. "Thank you." 

   "Anytime."