Chapter 64

Alexander

   The morning has finally come and I haven't slept a wink all night. Golden rays of sunlight slips through the cracks between the drapes, tracing across the floor. My phone is resting beside me, the screen remaining dark. Thomas never called. I had been constantly checking for missed calls or text messages. I checked and double checked my phone's reception as well as its internet connection. Every detail was working perfectly, only Thomas had never called nor texted me all night. I had been left alone to my thoughts and my anxiousness about how Thomas was faring. Is silence a good sign?

   I'm a bit anxious by his radio silence. Did he end up going back to Monticello or did he stay at the hotel? He never told me where he was going to be, or where he ended up. Though I suppose, half of that blame falls on me, I never asked for him to tell me. My feet collide with the cold wooden floor as I slide out of bed and make my way to the bathroom. The reflection of my sleep tangled hair makes me frown as I run my fingers through it, gently detangling the briars that had been formed with the strands.

   "Why didn't he call?" I mutter, sighing loudly as I realize that I am thinking about it incessantly. "Fuck him." I grumble, turning away from the mirror and going to start the shower. The warm water erupts from the shower head and for the briefest moment I consider going to get my phone. Would I be able to hear it ring if I leave it on the bed? Stop worrying about it. He isn't going to call you. If he hasn't called all night then there is no chance that he would call you in the next five minutes. 

   My clothes fall to the floor, hot water striking my skin as I step underneath the torrent of water. Dark strands of hair begin to stick to the back of my neck, my hands resting on my neck as I close my eyes and allow the water to run over my skin and wash away the surface tension of my anxiety. My mind summons up the image of Thomas asleep in his hotel room, but it is tinged with uncertainty. This is the first time in a while that I have not known where Thomas was or what he was doing. 

   It turns out that I don't like any of this mysterious bullshit that he is pulling on me. The least he could do for me is send me a text telling me that he isn't dead in a ditch somewhere, or tell me that he is with his family and what that situation is like. I can't stand this absolute silence from him. My eyes open and I glare up at the ceiling as I find myself to be yet again thinking about the situation without giving myself any reprieve. 

   He's probably still asleep, or Washington is running him ragged as he always does. I turn off the water and quickly wrap a towel around my body. He better be too busy to talk to me. I frown as I walk back into the bedroom, slightly dripping as I walk across the plush carpet over towards the dresser. My phone is buzzing on the bed, I glance over at it with a glare. Thomas's face is illuminated on the screen and I scoff slightly before turning away and returning to the task of finding clothes. He had left me waiting all night for some sort of reply to what is going on or if he was alright, now it is his turn to wait for me to reply to him.

   I slowly sort through the dresser, my fingers gently sifting through the array of fabric until I find my most comfortable outfit. My phone ceases its buzzing only to begin again. It seems that he is now very eager to have my attention. I ignore it as I search for my hairbrush and hair ties. The buzzing ceases and I glance over at the bed curiously. The ringing of Skype fills the air and I can't help but laugh at his persistence to get my attention. 

   "You can wait another minute Jefferson." I mumble as I walk into the bathroom and pull up my hair. My fingers quickly pulling my messy strands up into a messy bun. The ringing has not ceased for a couple minutes and it is now beginning to grate on my nerves. "Perhaps you are incapable of waiting." I grumble as I go over to grab the phone. "Impatient brat." I accept the call and Thomas looks relieved to see me for a heartbeat before twisting into a rather frustrated expression.