Chapter 81

Thomas

This moment couldn't be any more perfect. Martha is playing with some of the toys that Sally had brought along, her bright little smiles seeming to illuminate the entire room. I find myself entranced by her simple movements. My eyes following every step and arc of her arms; warmth is spreading throughout my body as I watch a small part of my soul amuse herself. So much time has been wasted, she could have been here her whole life. She could have been with me since her first breath; Alexander would attempt to remind me that the past is useless to me now and only the present holds any weight. In some regard he's right, she's here now and here she will stay.

It is just Sally, Martha, and I in sitting in the den. Alexander had remained by the front door with my mother; he was wearing a rather peculiar expression as he looked past me at her. I know better than to try and get in the way of whatever Alexander is considering putting into action. It is most likely in my best interest to try and stay out of his way as much as possible, my first day with my daughter shouldn't be ruined by any of his plots. My face begins to burn slightly as I notice that Sally has been staring at me all this time, her head resting in her palm, an amused smile crossing her features.

"Welcome back to the world." Her melodic voice breaks the silence.

"Sorry, I was just-"

"I know what you were doing." Her eyes drift over to little Martha who has become so enraptured with her game that I doubt she even realizes that we are still here. "You forget that I have seen that look before."

"Right..." I tap my fingers atop of my thighs as I drop my gaze. Of course she would know what I was thinking about, or more accurately who. She has seen it all before, first with Martha and then herself. That particular truth causes my stomach to churn unpleasantly, awkwardness settling comfortably atop of my shoulders. "I don't understand how you could keep the truth from me for all this time."

"It was easy really." She murmurs, her eyes remaining trained on the child that up until this moment had belonged to her solely. "You were like a zombie after she died. Remembering that one of the biggest parts of you had been buried with her, died with her, made it easy to not think of you or want to speak to you."

"Were you hoping that I would actually die?" Her eyes meet mine sharply as she corrects her posture, crossing her legs at the knee. "She is my daughter, you are aware of that."

"Yet I was the one who carried her, birthed her, and raised her."

"Sally, Martha chose you as her surrogate. I cannot thank you enough for carrying our child to tern and caring for her until one of us was able to retrieve her. I am here now and am fully capable of taking care of her."

"I never thought that you would move on to men after losing Martha. Was the grief your motivator?" I inhale sharply, a spark of anger igniting in my chest. "It would seem that I have struck a nerve."

"Alexander isn't a replacement for Martha." I manage to reply.

"Then why the sudden change in taste?" She questions. "How does one go from sampling sisters to-"

"I've heard enough." I jump at the sound of Alexander's voice and feel my face flush with shame as I realize just how much he has heard. His body is leaned against the frame of the archway, his hands clasped behind his back. If it weren't for the rather murderous look in his eyes I would say that he looks rather handsome in this particular moment. "You can go now Ms. Hemmings." My mouth hangs open uselessly as my heart strains to beat its way out of my chest. Sally rises to her feet slowly, the motion deliberate. Her eyes rest on Martha for a moment, a gentle sadness seeming to overcome her. "I believe the matter of urgency for your absence is ever present." Alexander snaps. Sally doesn't speak another word nor spare me a glance as she slowly makes her way out of the house.