Chapter 39

Alexander

   A wave of frustration crashes over me as my train of thought is suddenly halted by the chirping alert of a private direct message on my computer. I take a slow intake of breath before turning my attention back towards my computer and see who had messaged me. When I see Thomas's username appear on the screen I admit that I considered simply ignoring it. Not out of animosity, but out of habit as well as wanting to get a bit more work done before indulging him in a frivolous conversation. I tap my fingers against the desk slightly before deciding to simply give him a response.

   T.Jeff: Madison may be heading your way.

   A.Ham: What did you do?

   T.Jeff: For your information, I didn't do anything incriminating.

   T.Jeff: Thank you for your faith.

   A.Ham: If you didn't do anything then why would he be coming to see me? It isn't exactly as if he and I have been best friends for years or anything like that.

   "Hamilton." I look away from my computer and lock eyes with James Madison, who looks rather hesitant as he lingers in the doorway of my office. "Do you have a moment?"

   "Yes, of course," I glance at my computer for just a moment more before ripping my eyes away. "Please come in." He enters rather slowly, closing the door behind him before crossing the short distance and taking a seat before my desk. We both simply look at one another for a moment, awkward silence lapsing between the two of us. "Is there something I can help you with Mr. Madison?"

   "Nothing professionally." He murmurs, glancing around the room. "I actually came to see you about a topic that resides more in the personal realm than the political."

   "Alright," I answer warily. "What do you wish to discuss?"

   "It has been brought to my attention that you and Secretary Jefferson have become rather...friendly towards one another."

   "Who has supplied you with such knowledge?" I ask with the faintest tilt of the head.

   "General observation." His hands cover one another as he rests them atop of his crossed legs. "It is a rather curious change, considering how you two had simply detested one another only a month prior."

   "A lot can change in the span of a month."

"And your relationship with Thomas Jefferson, a man you have hated since the moment you laid eyes on him, is one of those things?"

"If you have to be so specific about it." My eyes glance over at my computer screen as more words begin to appear.

T.Jeff: Hamilton?

T.Jeff: He's there with you, isn't he?

"I find it difficult to imagine that your opinion of him would be so quickly changed after all this time."

"I wouldn't concern yourself about it too deeply James."

"There is something about your relationship that has always intrigued me though."

"And what would that be?" I ask with a growing sense of annoyance at his constant assault of questions.

"Why did you hate him in the first place?" I find myself struggling to respond. I have never been asked as to why my supposed hatred of Thomas Jefferson was formed or why it rages so intensely. Now that such a question has been posed I find myself floored.

   "That..."

   "Hamilton! Are you in here?" The door to my office is thrown open and Thomas Jefferson is standing in the doorway. "Why do I even bother asking, of course you'd be in here." His eyes are narrowed in an almost malicious manner which causes me to feel even more confused by the situation. "I have papers for you from Daddy dearest."

   I can feel James's eyes flitting between the two of us, carefully observing our reactions. I say nothing as Jefferson throws a pile of papers onto my desk, said pile scattering upon impact. Jefferson's eyes drift towards Madison and widen slightly in surprise.

   "What are you doing here James?"

   "I was simply having a chat with an old friend."

   It takes a considerable amount of willpower not to scoff at his remark. He has made it painfully clear on several occasions that he and I will never be friends and he has no desire to fix such a situation. James Madison is satisfied with his status as a personal and political enemy of mine.

   "Though I believe our chat has come to an end." The room falls into a tense silence as James Madison rises to his feet and stares at Thomas intently for several moments. It is painfully clear to me that he is attempting to persuade him to leave alongside him, but it doesn't appear that his message is being clearly received and understood. He doesn't say another word before leaving my office and closing the door behind him.

   Thomas's eyes meet mine and his entire expression just melts as he walks over to my desk. No words fall from his lips as he picks up the papers that he had scattered across my desk and thrown them into the recycling bin. I stare at him in puzzlement to which he quietly laughs.

   "I didn't have any documents for you, I simply printed fifteen copies of an old meeting briefing as an excuse to come down here." He smiles sheepishly.

   "You needed an excuse?" I whisper. "When has not being invited stopped you from going somewhere?" He simply laughs at my words as he leans over the desk and peers down at me.

   "Sharp words, Hamilton."

   "But truthful ones."

   "Would it be strange to say that I have missed you?" He whispers, his hands resting flat against the surface of my desk.

   "It has only been five hours." I murmur, glancing away from him.

   "Doesn't change the fact that I missed you." He smiles that strangely infectious smile that makes my chest warm every time I see it. "Did you miss me?"

   "No." I mutter quietly, glancing back down at my desk.

   "Liar." He chuckles before placing a gentle kiss on the top of my head, making me melt.