Chapter 50

Alexander

   That asshole. I cross my arms across my chest as I glare at the entrance to the hallway that he had disappeared through. My fingernails dig harshly into my arms as I struggle to control my irritation at his blatant disregard of my wishes. Eliza is remaining silent as she looks down at her conjoined hands in her lap, still the trampled flower she had been throughout our entire relationship. Angelica had always been the dominant sister, simply asserting her will onto the two remaining Schuyler daughters. Even after Peggy's passing Angelica has continued with her dominant tendencies, never considering the damage that she has been inflicting upon her relationship with Eliza for years. 

   "I'm sorry." I glance over at Eliza as she steels her expression and meets my eyes. "Angelica has always...Angelica cares too much, that's all." 

   "Eliza, I don't want an apology from you." I reply simply. 

   "I know, but I felt that it was necessary. It may be the only apology you will ever receive from a Schuyler." 

   "I suppose." I reply drily, my nails digging deeper into the fabric of my sleeves as I return my eyes towards the spot Thomas had disappeared. A feeling of anxiety begins to bubble up inside of me the longer he remains absent. I can only wonder what it is that Angelica is telling him. The thought of her polluting his opinion of me makes my stomach flip and my palms sweat. 

   "I also wanted to thank you." Our eyes meet briefly before she slowly drops her eyes. "Thank you for fulfilling your part of the bargain. I truly appreciate it." 

   "I..." I drop my gaze and stare down at the floor for a brief moment. "It was the least I could do." I murmur. The room falls into silence as I struggle to rid myself of this anxiety over Thomas as well as this gnawing feeling of unease. "Did...did it work?"

   "Yes." Eliza answers simply, a flare of happiness evident in her tone. I don't have to look at her to know that she is smiling that charming half smile of hers. 

   "Good." I murmur. My heart rate accelerates as the sound of footsteps begins to quickly approach from the other end of the hallway. I rub my palms quickly against my jeans to rid myself of the sweat, but pause in the action as Angelica is the one to enter the room without Thomas in tow. She says nothing as she completely disregards me. Her eyes avoid mine as she walks over to Eliza, placing her hands on her shoulders. Eliza looks up at her older sister curiously before turning to see me racing down the hallway to find Thomas.

   My feet carry me quickly through the hallway, passing door after door with no sign of Thomas anywhere. I don't understand. I pause in the middle of the hallway as I listen for any sign of Thomas, all I can hear is the soft sound of the two remaining Schuyler daughters arguing in the distance. I struggle to tune out the sound of Angelica's voice as I slowly make my way down the hallway pausing in the doorway of my office, spotting Thomas sitting at my desk with his head in his hands. I knock lightly on the doorframe, he doesn't even look up at me. 

   "Interesting choice of hiding place." I murmur as I walk into the room, closing the door behind me. Thomas doesn't say a word as I walk to the side of my desk and sit in the plush chair that Eliza would sit in whenever she felt the need to watch me write for hours on end. I suppose now it is only fair that I take the sidelines for however brief a moment. I watch in silence as his shoulders slowly rise and fall in a steady succession, alerting me of the presence of his breath. "I was wondering where you had run off to." 

   "I've been here." He murmurs in response. I sigh softly as the relief of him finally speaking grants me a reprieve from the horrendous weight I hadn't realized I was carrying. "I've been thinking." 

   "Thinking about what?" I ask cautiously. 

   "Something that Angelica had said to me." He pauses and I feel my chest clench at the thought of the multitude of horrid things she could have possibly said about me. All the horrid things that she believes I have done. These thoughts don't exactly fill me with any sort of hope. "Why did you want me here Hamilton?" His use of my surname makes me fidget in discomfort slightly. 

   "Why are you asking that?"

   "Just answer the question Hamilton." He answers seriously. My eyes narrow into a glare as he continues to hide his face in his hands. His expression remaining invisible from my sight. I say nothing as I rise to my feet and cross the room, my fingers hover over the cool metal of the doorknob for a brief moment before coming to a decision and locking the door. This is not exactly a conversation that I would want any of my children to walk in on. 

   "What did Angelica say to you?" I ask before turning back to look at Thomas.

   "That you have wanted a lot of people to be with you, that I am simply the latest endeavor."

   "And you believed her?" I question in disbelief, a bitter feeling toward my former sister in law beginning to reach a dangerous point. Thomas doesn't say anything as I approach him yet again. He remains slumped over slightly, his hands covering his eyes as I tower over him. I roll my eyes as I come to stand on the other side of the desk, beside him.

   "I don't know what to think." He confesses quietly. 

   "Oh Christ!" I cry out in exasperation as I grab onto the back of the chair and swing his body towards mine. His hands cling onto the arms of the chair tightly as he stares up at me with wide and surprised eyes. His eyes narrow and his lips part to snap at me but is quickly silenced when I grab onto the collar of his shirt and pull him to me. Our lips collide harshly, the muffled groan Thomas gives causes my brain to get a little fuzzy. His body is tense from the surprise but he makes no move to get away from the kiss. 

   A soft squeal escapes him as I lean forward and drag my hand up his left thigh, my fingers pausing at the dip of his hips. Our tongues brush and for the first time since all of this started between he and I, I have complete control over the kiss. His breath is hot and heavy on my skin as I continue to control his mouth, allowing him to finally feel what it is like to give someone else all the control. A few tears slip past his lashes as he struggles to bite at my lips and gain some control. I place both of my hand on his neck, holding him in place as I pull my lips away. His eyes are hazy and a few tears are brimming around his lash line. I brush my thumbs under his eyes softly as he continues to stare at me. 

   "I want you here because I love you, don't let anyone convince you otherwise."