Chapter 63

Thomas

   My heart is pounding against my rib cage as I stand outside of the manor I had built about a decade ago. I hesitantly lift a hand to knock on the door, but quickly pull back before my hand is able to make contact with the door. This place had been my home, but now it feels like I am a trespasser here. I feel ridiculous just standing here covered underneath the magenta sky as the sun stains the air with its color as it sets behind the horizon. My phone weighs like a brick in my pocket and I have to fight the urge to reach into my pocket and pull out Alexander to rescue me from this situation. I fight the desire for fear of his reaction to how quickly I would have called him back in panic. 

   This is just all so much. I place a hand over my heart and remember when Martha had first seen this place. She had thought it was too extravagant, she didn't say that directly, but it was obvious by the look on her face when she spoke that she wasn't entirely onboard with the giant white manor on a hill. It wasn't entirely her aesthetic, but she had humored me and allowed me to tour her around the entire grounds. This was where our life together was supposed to start together, I suppose that it is only fitting that this place is where her life had to come to an abrupt end. My neck tingles slightly as if someone is running their fingertips just over the skin there. It has been quite some time since I have last felt such a sensation.

   "You want me to be here, don't you, Martha?" I murmur. As expected I am met by empty air, there is no response and I am left standing on the precipice of indecisiveness. The tingling circles my neck before migrating up to my cheeks, resting there as if cradling my face between two warm and soft palms. "Has it ever crossed your mind you may be asking too much of me?" I mutter, knowing that I probably look ridiculous loitering in front of a doorway, seemingly  talking to myself. I can only wonder what any passerby would be thinking of me in this moment, thought to be honest their personal opinions are insignificant to me in this moment. They can think whatever they want, but I need my moment.  "I suppose that I can do this...since you asked so nicely." 

   I take a deep breath before connecting my knuckles with the solid wooden door. The door is opened a few heartbeats after I knocked. Warm blue eyes clash with my brown and before I can utter a single syllable I am quickly pulled into a tight embrace. I wrap my arms around her form tightly as she clings to me, her perfume bringing back childhood memories. I don't know how she has always been able to smell so warm and inviting, the air always permeates the scent of warm brown sugar with a hint of vanilla. Her small hand rests on the back of my head as she holds me as if I were an infant again. 

   "It's been too long Thomas." There is so much joy present in her voice that my face feels like it will crack from the strain of resisting the urge to smile. "Thank you for coming." 

   "Thank you for having me, Momma." I grin as I squeeze her tightly, pulling her closer to my body. It is strange how you never realize just how much you miss your family until you are reunited. It feels like a chasm inside of me has finally been filled as we stand on the doorstep hugging each other as if our lives depended on it. 

   "Momma is everything alright?" Martha calls from inside the house. 

   "Everything is fine." I call back. We both chuckle as we listen to the thunderous roar of several pairs of feet rushing towards the door, summoned by the sound of my feet. 

   "Thomas!" Martha cries out in delight as she meets me. Jane and Mary are pushed to the side as Anna and Randolph rush out the doorway and both punch my arms.  Peter laughs as Momma releases her hold on me to scold the baby's of the family. It is always amusing to watch our little white mother grapple her twins by grabbing them by the ears and dragging them back into the house. They call out to me for help and I simply wave at them cheekily which results in them yelling a string of curse words met by my mother's scolding voice forcing them into silence. Peter simply continues to laugh and follows after them with interest.

   "You finally came home." Martha practically throws herself into my arms. I hold her tenderly as I look over at my two big sisters. They smile at me, but keep their distance. I open my hands and gesture for them to come closer. Jane doesn't look impressed as Mary simply chuckles at my grin. I wink at them both and listen as Mary erupts in laughter. Jane scoffs lightly at my actions. 

   "Don't flatter yourself little brother." She chides as she finally approaches me. "You aren't that much of a lady killer." I gasp in mock hurt, Martha giggling into my chest as she continues to cling onto me.

   "Christ Jane, am I getting my hug or not?" I tease with a smirk. She mirrors my smirk as she sandwiches Martha between us as she wraps her arms around my shoulders. 

   "It really is good to see you." She grins as Martha tries to wriggle her way out of the awkward embrace. We all share a laugh as Martha finally escapes and rushes back into the house as the roaring voices of the twins fills the air. "Not much has changed here, but it will feel more complete now that you are here." Jane gently releases me and steps aside for Mary to become more visible. 

   "This was a long time coming." Mary adds with a grin.

   "Hey you, where's my hug?" I open my arms.

   "Oh no no no," She shifts back a bit on her heels, crossing her arms across my chest. "You know how I feel about hugs Thomas." 

   "I'm your brother." I tease, faking an expression of hurt as I take a few steps towards her. 

   "This should be good." Jane mutters with a grin. 

   "You keep your distance Thomas." Martha warns, but her threat falls flat as she takes another couple of steps back. 

   "But I just missed you so much." I press on, I can't help the childish grin that stretches across my face as she turns to run. "Don't run away from my love Mary." 

   "Keep away from me Thomas!" she cries as she runs through the house, me in hot pursuit. Mary tries to put distance between us by taking sharp corners and ducking into one of the many guest rooms in the hallway. I slam my hand onto the door before she is able to push it closed, pushing my way into the room quickly. She squeals in displeasure as I catch her up in my arms, lifting her off of the ground slightly, her small feet kicking out hastily in distaste.

   "Ahhh, I missed you so much Mary." I laugh as I spin us around in a slow circle. She simply groans in response. 

   "Thomas," Momma's voice carries in through the doorway. "don't be starting trouble now. Release your sister." 

   "Yes Momma." I call back. 

   "Thank God." Mary sighs as I set her back on the floor and release my hold on her. 

   "Oh don't you worry," I tease. "Before I leave you and I are going to have the biggest hug ever. Rest assured." 

   "I was so worried." She grumbles.