Chapter 38

Jefferson

   Alexander and I parted ways very quickly once arriving at the office. It is one of the few disadvantages of working in two completely different aspects of the government. Working as the secretary of state has always been an incredible experience, being granted the ability to travel around the world and meet a number of people I would have never met under normal circumstances. My responsibilities are to mainly keep the country in good standing with other foreign countries, while also carrying out deals that benefit ourselves and our partner. Alexander works as the treasury secretary, something that I understand he has been indirectly preparing himself for all his life. 

  There were a few instances in the beginning of our professional relationship that Alexander felt it was prudent that he involve myself in my department. It was his common practice to completely undermine me in front of foreign officials and to openly apologize for my shortcomings in front of me. He was a total pain in my ass. I close my eyes as I sink down into my plush swivel chair. Washington had appointed my childhood friend John Adams as my temporary replacement during my month of leave. John is a good man, but his ideals are a bit dated and stagnant. Knowing that he was the one who was covering my position in my absence fills me with a small sense of dread as I open my eyes and resign myself to assessing the damage that could have been afflicted in my absence.

   I sort through a few of my emails and find several less than pleased emails from the English ambassador. I quickly skim over the contents of the emails and see a reoccurring theme throughout. He was made to feel very unwelcome in the United States and that secretary Adams showed no real interest of having any business with the United Kingdom. My fingers fly over the keyboard as I quickly type a long response to the English ambassador, whom I had made very good friends with through our years of working together. I convey my sincerest apologies and explain that John was merely a stand-in and now that I am back I would be more than happy to review everything that was discussed during his visit and see what work can be done.

   My head leans back against the headrest of my tall chair, eyes staring up at the ceiling. Thankfully, that appears to be the only significant deal of damage that John has inflicted upon my position, but it was easily repaired. As I stare at the ceiling I find my mind beginning to wander back to Alexander and how he had made it his personal mission to get in my way as much as possible back when we had first started working together. It had both infuriated and intrigued me, since there was no definite source of provocation or reason, except for the genuine malice and dislike of me that Alexander seemed to bleed from every pore. It is fascinating how much of a difference has been made in his behavior towards me. 

   A soft smile forms on my lips at the thought of Alexander, but I fight the urge to go and see him. Knowing him I would find him buried in his work, possibly hidden behind several tall towers of paper. The humor of such a situation would be great, though he would possibly scold me for laughing at his circumstance and kick me out of his office. He really does have a significant amount of determination and idealism about what he can create and what will survive after his death. I shake my head slightly to clear my mind of any thoughts of his death.

   "Doesn't look like you are too busy Thomas." I glance over towards the door and find James Madison standing parallel to me. He gives me a weak smile as he enters the room. "I would have expected you to be furiously fixing everything that John had cooked up for you while you were away." 

   "He did a fairly decent job of not destroying everything I worked towards creating." I reply with a smile. 

   "That's surprising." 

   "He didn't single handedly destroy the country, as long as he doesn't intend on running for my position we should be safe." 

   "Unlike Hamilton."

   "Excuse me?"

   "Thomas you of all people should know that if John Adams was to have any real power he would abuse it to take shots at Hamilton. To be honest, some of those shots may even be warranted." I look away from James and glance out the window at the blue sky that hasn't been marred by a single cloud. "Have I said something that upset you?"

   "Lets not discuss Hamilton at this moment." 

   "Did something happen between the two of you?" James looks at me curiously. "Was it anything drastic?

   "Nothing that would affect how we work." I reply plainly. 

   "So something drastic did happen between you two." He crosses the room and sits in the chair in front of my desk. "What happened?"

   "He simply stayed with me and I got to know him a lot better than I have in the past few years of working with him."

   "What did you learn?"

   "I am not at liberty to share any of that information with you." I lean back in my chair as I survey my friend, he and I had worked rather closely on several projects so I feel I know him well. However, he has made it painfully clear about his dislike of Alexander. The two of them had worked on a significant project together, but after the completion of said project they never dared speak to one another again.  It is with this knowledge that I hesitate to share any of the information that was granted to me for fear of him using it against Hamilton.

   "You're not at liberty." He murmurs. "Are you protecting him?"

   "Do I need to be?"

   "Oh my Lord, you care about him." James leans back in his seat as I look away from him. "You care about him a great deal if you are willing to argue with me about him." 

   "This isn't an argument."

   "But this is the first time that you have ever withheld information about Hamilton from me."

   "It simply isn't my information to share." 

   "I see." James rises to his feet. "Then I will cease to bother you any further." I watch him quickly walk out of the room. Once he slips out into the hallway I slam my hand onto the surface of my desk and return my eyes to my computer opening the office chat room.