Chapter 32

Alexander

   My body has never felt so heavy or sore as it does in this very moment. I scrunch my eyes shut tightly as the pain residing in my muscles begins to migrate up my spine and spread throughout my body. Damn Jefferson. My ears burn slightly at the thought of the man and his teeth on my skin. He really didn't hold back last night. His "punishment" continued for several rounds so I'm not at all surprised by the presence of the early morning sun peeking through the curtains. My muscles tense in surprise as an arm wraps itself around my waist, pulling me close.

   "Good morning Alexander, sleep well?" Jefferson's warm breath fans over my skin, warming the back of my neck. I say nothing as he pulls me flush against his chest, pressing a soft kiss on my skin. My face burns as he plants sweet kisses over my skin, making me speechless. "How are you feeling?"

   "Don't ask that question." I mutter.

   "That bad, huh?" He asks softly, a tone of regret tinting his words as he buries his face into the side of my neck apologetically. "I'm sorry Alex." I merely hum in response as he sighs against my skin. "I really am sorry."

   "I didn't know you were the oldest child in your family...or that you even have siblings." I reply quickly, changing the subject, surprising him slightly.

   "Are you mad that I didn't tell you about my siblings?"

   "Don't be stupid," I grumble. "It would have been nice though."

   "I'm sorry Alex." He kisses my shoulder gently. "But I'm not the oldest child in my family. The oldest son yes, but not the oldest overall."

   "Whose the oldest then?"

   "The two oldest are my sisters: Jane and Mary, then there's me."

   "Martha?" I ask curiously turning to look over my shoulder at him. He smiles at my curious expression.

   "She is the fifth child in our family. Elizabeth was born before her and then there was Peter, then another brother after him, Lucy, and then finally the twins Anna and Randolph."

   "There are ten Jefferson children...your poor mother." I mumble. He nips at my ear harshly making me yelp in surprise.

   "Don't be rude." He warns with a smirk. "There are only nine. My brother who was born after Peter, died before he could even become a year old. My parents didn't even get to decide on a name for him before he passed."

   "I'm sorry." I murmured.

   "It was a long time ago." He closes his eyes as he rests his forehead against my own. "I just want everything to be clear about my family."

   "You come from a pretty big family." I say softly, trying to ignore the fluttering in my chest as he remains so close by. "I always wanted to have a big family."

   "There's nothing stopping you."

   "Well unfortunately, after failing in my first marriage it makes it seem a little hopeless." Jefferson opens his eyes and looks at me seriously. Oh God, what have I done? I don't want to talk about my mistakes with Maria Reynolds. I can't go through it all again!

   "I heard about that." He replies simply. "It's unfortunate." I stare at him in surprise. He raises an eyebrow and looks at me with a tender expression that makes my heart twist in my chest. "Are you surprised that I know about that?"

   "I'm surprised that you haven't said anything about it if you've known about it all this time."

   "It wasn't my place."

   "When has that ever stopped you?"

   "Only a few times," he confesses with a bit of a smirk. "This was just one of those times. I could make comments now if you'd like."

   "No, I'd rather you didn't." I answer hastily. He merely chuckles in response.

   "This is nice." He hums as he revels in the closeness of our two bodies. His clothes rub against my bare skin uncomfortably but I don't argue or try to move away. The feeling truly was nice. It almost felt intimate the way he was holding me. "I think this is the first time you and I have ever slept in the same bed. I like it."

   I guess there is a first for everything. I close my eyes and tug the blanket up to my face, burying myself in the warmth. He runs his fingers through my hair, allowing my body to relax even more.

   "Still sleepy, little lion?" He whispers, continuing to rub his fingers through my hair.

   "Is your name Lafayette?" I mumble.

   "Obviously not." Jefferson replies with a faint laugh.

   "Then for as long as you are not French nor named Lafayette you are not allowed to call me little lion."

   "You really are a grouchy little lion." He teases. "What would it take for someone to declaw you?"

   "Death." My response causes Jefferson to burst with laughter. I smile faintly as my face is burrowed into his chest, enjoying the warmth of his body as well as the vibrations of his laughter.

   "Such dramatics." He laughs. "Your bark really is worse than your bite, you know?"

   "Shut up and let me sleep." I mumble as the warmth of his body and the bed begin to lull me further into a state of exhaustion. My body seeming to sink further into the bed with every deep breath I take.

   "You can sleep, I however have somethings I need to accomplish today."

   "Like what?"

   "Oh? Are you finally taking an interest in my day to day life?"

   "No. I just want to know if you'll annoy me with what you have to do." I grumble, my heart holding no true meaning to the words. He's making me weaker by the day.

   "Tempting. However I have a wedding to plan and you would probably find no amusement in that process."

   "Whose wedding?" I ask confusedly as my eyes begin to droop, slowly closing.

   "My sister Martha's." He kisses my forehead and my eyes fall closed. I hear nothing more, but I am certain that he had told me to have sweet dreams before departing. The mere thought of him uttering such words spreads heat through my body and invaded my dreams, swaddling my heart in its intimacy.

CounterpointOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara