Chapter 30

Jefferson

   "I'm done with you." His words sink into my skin like blades. Those words are so cruel, but I know just by looking in his eyes that he doesn't mean them. Not truly. There is so much pain and confusion in his eyes. Just by looking into them I feel myself begin to lose my way. My grip on his wrists tighten slightly and he winces from the bite of my nails into his skin.

   "Don't move from this spot." I grumble as I loosen my grip. He begins to sit up and his tear covered face is now level with my chest.

   "Stop making demands of me." He whimpers as stubborn tears continues to streak over his tan skin. Something snaps inside of me and I find myself pushing him back down onto the bed. His eyes are closed as if he is anticipating a blow, but all I do is keep my hand flat on his chest, pinning him before me. A soft whimper escapes him as I lean forward and brush my lips against his, soft lips chasing after mine as I pull away.

   "Don't move from this spot." I repeat myself sternly. "I will be right back. Do you understand?" He simply stares at me with such sad eyes that I don't even wait for a response. I brush my thumb over his cheek gently before departing. I close the door behind me and hesitate locking it. My eyes slide shut as I exhale deeply and head downstairs, leaving the door unlocked.

   "Thomas." Martha says in surprise as I come back down the stairs. Her expression is remorseful, it is almost nostalgic of when we were children. "I have caused you trouble haven't I? I had no idea that there was someone here with you. Please accept my deepest apologies."

   "Martha Jefferson, please stop with the rambling." I grab onto her shoulders and she looks up at me with her doe eyes that remind me so much of mother's eyes. "Everything is alright. There has just been a slight misunderstanding between me and my..." What can I really call him now? Friend? Housemate? Lover? "My guest." I finish.

   "A misunderstanding? Oh Thomas, what did I accidentally do this time?" I smile faintly at her anxious expression.

   "There is no need for you to worry, everything will be resolved. But you must go now Martha."

   "O-Ok." She stutters as I direct her towards the door. "Will I hear from you soon with your answer?"

   "Consider my answer as an obvious yes." I reply quickly as I push her out the door.

   "Truly?" She questions as she stands in the doorway, blocking me from closing it. "You mean that?"

   "Yes Martha." I suppress my growl of irritation as she continues to linger and question. "I am your older brother it is only right for me to be present at such an occasion. Now if you'll excuse me." She opens her mouth to most likely bid her farewells but I have already shut the door. My mind has long since switched over from family matters to Alexander.

   I take the stairs two at a time as I race back to the room. The door opens smoothly and I find Alexander curled up in a ball on the bed, his back facing me. All of the irritation I had been feeling as I raced up the stairs has melted away at the sight of the ever proud Hamilton curled up in a ball like this.

   I take slow and gentle steps towards him and slowly lower myself onto the bed beside him. He trembles slightly as I hover over him, but makes no move to retreat from my presence. A quiet keening noise escapes him as I brush a strand of hair away from his face.

   "You may say that you are done with me," I whisper, slightly afraid to speak too loudly. "But I am not done with you." He peeks up at me from over his shoulder slightly and I give him a gentle smile. "You are stuck with me I'm afraid."

   "Don't do this Thomas." He whispers, his head falling back down onto the mattress. "You're wasting time here when Martha is waiting for you downstairs."

   "All of this sadness because you're jealous." I murmur softly. He shifts slightly and I see a familiar flicker of Hamilton's proud flame in his eyes as he glares up at me.

   "I'm not jealous." He snaps, but it doesn't hold the same fire as usual. I suppose I'll just have to push him a little harder then.

   "Aren't you?"

   "No!"

   "Then what are you feeling?"

   "Just shut up and go be with your wife!" He snaps.

   "My wife?" I blink in confusion. My lips part as realization dawns on me and he looks away from me yet again. "You think that the Martha that was downstairs was...my Martha." I murmur slowly.

   "Isn't she?" He questions hesitantly, his voice soft.

   "Yes, but not in the way you're thinking."

   "Yeah ri-"

   "The Martha you saw downstairs is my younger sister, Martha Jefferson, she came by to give me a wedding invitation." Silence fills the space  between us.  "She is marrying someone with the last name Carr, so I can't be with her for multiple reasons."

   "She's your sister." He whispers.

   "She's one of my baby sisters." I smile down at him sweetly. "Still feel jealous?"

   "I'm not jeal-" His words die on his lips as he turns to look at me and his face colors. I watch as his eyes drift around the room struggling to look everywhere but at me. A choked and startled sound escapes him as I push him onto his back and straddle him. "What do you think you're doing?" He splutters.

   "You know what I'm going to do." I whisper as I lean down towards him. "We've done it before." I whisper, watching his face color brightly.

   "I...I don't want to." He snaps, looking away from me.

   "Stop lying Alexander, I already know that you love me."