Chapter 4: Eighteen

Several months passed since Bai Sun left the port and news quickly spread of the Bai and Fa family cutting business ties. People were surprised and questioned the cause, but no one knew the reason. No one from the Bai said anything. No one from the Fa said anything. It ended just like that. 

For me, after I allowed myself to cry, I took Yun to the open field. Yun had run until the tears in my face are dried from the wind. The following days were hard, but I kept myself busy at Fa Port. It became busier after the Bai and Fa family no longer deal business. Because of that one big loss, the Fa Family had to work longer and harder in order to maintain stability. Grandfather never asked what happened. He simply accepts and moved on, never showing disappointment at Min or me.

As time continues on, I reached the 18th year of my life. I was surprised when everyone at the port shouted out happy birthday. I was moved when everyone sang. The song had been so loud that the whole province could hear. All I could do was smile and laugh. The day I turned eighteen, grandfather threw a huge celebration at the port. The celebration lasted through the night. 

Grandfather's birthday present had been the release of the hundred wishing lanterns. Again the starry sky, I could see a wish written on each lantern. Each wish was for my safety, health, and happiness. Hugging my grandfather, I felt thankful. Thankful that I had chosen him this life. He had given me a childhood I always wanted. And now, he is letting me live my life however I wish.

No one mentioned the engagement between Wang Feng and me. And I never spoke of it. What happened to Wang Feng and I had been short. Soon, it'll just be a distant memory.