Chapter 47: We Meet Again

My head was hurting when I woke. I didn't know where I was or what had happened. The strange ceiling and the hard bed was not the same one in my bedroom. I had wished it was only a dream, but the pain on my arms and legs were telling me I was not dreaming. Sitting up, I saw that I was in a large tent.

"Careful"

A lovely young woman suddenly entered the tent carrying a silver tray. I stared at her, finding her faintly familiar but unable to know why. Her long dark brown hair was in multiple braids while she wore a foreign but attractive dress.

"You've been hurt quite badly when we found you near the river"

She sat down beside me and placed the tray with a glass of goat milk and a plate of steam buns. "Luckily, we had a doctor with us..."

"W_ Where am I?"

"Du Sen"

I was relieved. I was still close to the capital. Du Sen was a small village outside the capital city.

"How long was I here?"

"We found you 3 days ago"

"3 days!" I gasped when the wound in my back ached.

"Careful" She helped me sit up properly. "The current of the river had nearly crushed your body into the bottom surface of the water... when we found you, you were a bloody mess. I barely recognized you, Wei Lan"

She knew my name? I looked at her face for a long time before the scent of the steam bun brought back a sudden memory. A girl from a long time ago - a girl who left without a word even though I had offered her a place to live.

"X_ Xinyi"

Her eyes shine when she smiles at me.

"We meet again, Wei Lan"

She lifted a bun up to my lips – the action was the same, the scene was the same. After a long time, I opened my lips and took a bite. I didn't know tears had fallen until she had wiped them from my eyes. Her smiles were soft and kind.

"Where did you go? Why didn't you stay and come with us?"

"I wanted to live free"

Her words shook my because I understood what she meant completely.

"This place... is it your home?"

"Temporarily"

Temporarily – she has not found her home. I have found mine.

"P_ Please Xinyi, I need to head back to the capital. I need to go back home"

"To see Feng?"

My blushing cheeks made her laughed softly.

"You spoke his name ever since we found you... Is he your beloved?"

"Yes... It's been 3 days since I was gone, Feng must be worried" I was anxious. "Please help me_"

"Calm down..." She held onto my hand and placed the warm bun in them. "Tell me where I can find him, I will go get him"

"No, I can_"

"Wei Lan, you just woke up. Your body can barely move with such injuries"

I looked at my exposed body completely covered in bandage.

"I'll go retrieve him. Tell me where to find your Feng"

So I did.