Chapter 21: Sparrow to Phoenix

Before heading to Wang Mansion, I had asked Min if we could get some tea cakes. It wasn't proper etiquette for us to go to Wang Mansion empty-handed. Agreeing with me, Min suggested we go to capital most popular bakery. 

Upon arrival, we saw the place was busy and pack. The long winding line told us it'll take a while, so Min told me to wait outside while he go purchase the cakes for me. I smiled at my cousin usual gentlemanly manners and went outside to wait. Just as I exited the bakery, I noticed the small jewelry shop across the street. 

Entering the shop, the first thing I saw was the gold tray filled with assorted hairpiece. The piece that caught my eyes was a white gold stick with intricate vine carved on its body and small golden flowers dangling at the end. It was elegant and simple – perfect for Li Xia. I held it in my hand, ready to purchase it when someone snatched it. Not only was I startled, the shop owner had been as well. 

"How much?"

I recognized the voice and turned to see Chen Kang.

"But the young miss already_" The owner saw that I had wanted to buy it first.

"Only my sister suits this. Name your price"

I was speechless. The owner was speechless.

"Young master" The owner said calmly. "This already belongs to the young miss"

"This belongs to my sister. Name your price"

His voice was hard and his eyes were filled with rage despite his calm tone. There had been a guard standing directly behind Chen Kang and 2 more guarding outside the shop. As if sensing his master unhappy tone, the guard behind Chen Kang stepped forward.

"Apologies to young miss" The owner voice was shaky as he look at me.

I shook my head and smiled, letting him know without words that it was alright. Seeing my expression, the owner was relieved and sold the hair piece to Chen Kang while I search for another hairpin for Li Xia. 

"Every hair piece in this store belong to my sister"

Chen Kang proceed to gave the owner several paper notes enough to buy out the whole store. When the owner looked at me with apologetic eyes, I knew it was useless for me to be there.

"A sparrow wanting to be a phoenix, what a joke"

He was insulting me. I choose to walk away instead of responding. Why should I be upset by a stranger's meaningless words? With just that short interaction, I knew what type of person Chen Kang was. Not once did he look at me even when he took the hairpin straight from my hand. Not once did he acknowledged anyone else presence. This type of person is the hardest to deal and even harder to get along with. The best thing is to ignore and turn away. 

I had been the one to take a step back, and still, he had his guards blocked my exit. Chen Kang didn't like anyone ignoring him. Even while he was insulting the other person, he expected to be acknowledge. I knew my silence angers. I had purposely refused to say a word to the rotten rich master.

It was clear that his guards was not letting me leave, so I turned around and glared at Chen Kang. His cold, angry eyes suddenly flash with surprise when he saw me. 

Confused that I was being stared at so intently, I started to wonder if something strange was on me. I was wearing my royal blue layering dress with my long hair braided to one side. Seeing nothing was off, I looked back up at Chen Kang. Why was he still staring at me without a single word?  Not wanting to stand around and being stared at, I turned to leave. The guards had noticed their master stunned silence so did not stop me when I left.

Once I was at a good distance away from the shop, I let out a relieved sighed. It situation had been too weird. I headed back to the bakery when I saw Min standing outside with a box of tea cakes in his hand. I giggled at the sight of him constantly looking left to right.

"Min-ge" I called out.

"Mei-mei" Min let out a relieved sighed when I saw me. "Where did you go?"

"The jewelry shop. Wei Lan wanted to buy a hairpin for Li Xia"

"Oh? Were you able to find something?"

I shook my head.

"Umm, do you want to try another shop?"

I nodded and followed beside Min while he led the way.