Chapter 16: Foolish

On our second visit to the lantern festival, I kept my distance from Feng by staying close to Li Xia.

"Wei Lan" Li Xia cheerfully pointed to the nearby plum candy stall. "You haven't had plum candy since you returned to the capital, right?"

I shook my head and she quickly bought some.

"Thank you" I smiled as Li Xia handed me the plum candy stick.

Standing off to the side of the busy street, Li Xia and I took our time to enjoy the plum candy. Lifting the veil just enough to expose our lips, we smiled at each other and ate.

"How is it?" Li Xia asked with a smile.

"It's good" I replied. "Wei Lan miss the taste of plum candy"

"Jing doesn't have plum candy?"

"Yes" I laughed softly. "But Jing plum candy is made with more salt rather than honey sugar so the taste is different"

"Oh? Li Xia must try it one day"

We continued our small talk even as I sense an intense stare nearby. I glanced to the side and saw Feng. Realizing that his eyes were on me, I returned my gaze to the candy stick.

"Wei Lan, shall we go to the bridge? There several interesting stalls every year"

Li Xia lifted her hand out to me so I took it. When she led the way, I had to smile at her excitement. Li Xia continues to talk and point out several things while we head down the streets.

Meanwhile following closely after Li Xia and Wei Lan...

"It seems mei-mei is upset with us"

Feng didn't respond to Min's sigh. Instead, he continues to watch Wei Lan as she walked hand-in-hand with his younger sister. Since the beginning, Feng noticed Wei Lan careful distance. He knew she was using Li Xia as a shield.

"Wang Feng, forgive me for saying this" Min said softly but clearly. "Wei Lan feels threatened by the prime minister daughter. You should keep your distance with Miss Chen"

It was difficult to say those shameless words, but Min had cared more about his mei-mei's feelings than his own pride.

"How foolish..."

Min was startled by Feng soft tone. His eyes still haven't left Wei Lan.

"Your mei-mei is so foolish. Stubborn and foolish"

Min chucked at the straightforward Wang Feng. If Wei Lan were to hear such brutal words, she would cry.

"Yes..." Still, Min agreed with Feng's words.

Min could never understand a woman's heart. He doesn't understand why his cousin would feel threatened by the prime minister daughter.

"Because of you, my mei-mei became foolish. Take responsibility, Wang Feng"

Min looked at Feng with a bit of resentment. When Feng glance at him with a slight lift of his lips, Min smirked. 

"Because of your mei-mei, this general became foolish"

Feng eyes returned to Wei Lan who was standing beside Li Xia.

"She should take some responsibility too"