Chapter 29: Zhou Wei Lan

After the meal, I offered to make tea as my official way of greeting Feng's family. Using my mother's tea pot and cups, I made orchid tea.

"I never had orchid tea before" Li Xia said, enjoying the light sweetness. "I don't think they sell any orchid tea here in the capital. Is it only in the Jing Province?"

"Last year, grandfather decided to cultivate an orchid field" I answered while continuing to refill everyone's cup. "Grandfather only recently started to sell orchid tea in Jing and Qin Province. In a few months, there will be several shipments available in the Capital city"

"Something tells me this is your invention Wei Lan" Elder Wang smiled into her tea cup.

"Only by accident... Wei Lan lives in the Orchid Quarter at the Fa Estate. It had been only a thought to use orchid flowers to make tea"

"Wei Lan jie-jie" Li Xia suddenly leaned against me and held onto my arm like a little child. "Does this means Li Xia gets to enjoy jie-jie tea whenever she wants?"

Her cute action made me laugh so I gently patted her cheek. Then all of a sudden, Feng put his whole hand in Li Xia face and pushed her off me.

"Feng-ge!" Li Xia rubbed her face and cried out.

Feng smirked as he wrapped an arm around my waist, bringing me back to his side. When he set his empty cup in front of me, I sighed softly. I shook my head amusedly while I refill his cup.

"I understand now why your grandfather had been reluctant to let you go" Feng's father suddenly commented while he studied the tea.

"He Long has always boasted about Wei Lan's tea" Elder Wang gently twirled the cup in her hand and enjoyed the sweet scent. "I hate to admit it but that man always raised the best children..."

That statement made me stopped – wondering what she meant by that.

"Oh, right. I remember jie-jie said she was originally a Zhou. How did Master Fa end up raising jie-jie instead of the Zhou?"

"Li Xia" Feng voice held warning. "Why are you suddenly so noisy?"

"Jie-jie is family now. Li Xia only wants to know and understand jie-jie more"

Feng scowled.

"Feng..."

I smiled softly at him, assuring him I didn't mind Li Xia curiosity.

"Wei Lan father and mother died at sea when she was 10... Elder Wang probably knows Wei Lan father is the Head of the Zhou..."

"Yes, Zhou Ming. I have met him a few times while he was here in the capital. He was a good, honorable man... Your mother, Fa Su Lan, was a charming woman. I recalled her tea was wonderful as well"

I smiled softly at the compliment and felt warm at the reminder of my loving parents.

"After Wei Lan father died... The Head position was given to Wei Lan"

"But jie-jie was only 10" 

"It does not matter" Master Wang explained. "The position always goes to the eldest child of the current Head of the family. It's a tradition many Families follow. The Zhou is no different"

"So what happened?" Li Xia became even more curious.

"As Li Xia said, Wei Lan is only 10. How could she take a position she has no capability of handling? Wei Lan had 2 choices."

Everyone's quiet expression let me know they understood. But Li Xia appeared confused so I continued to explain.

"To live with one of father's brothers... Or to renounce my lineage and live with grandfather..."