Chapter 39: Wang's Rule

I was quiet while Chen Hua Lan received everyone praises. The empress had begun to bestow gifts to Chen Hua Lan for her performance when the princess of Ruichai suddenly complained. Again, her temper was thrown at me. She claimed that I was arrogant for not performing. She insulted me for being a coward for letting someone else stand in for me. She went as far as telling Wang Feng that his choice in women. Only when Wang Feng laughed that the foreign princess stopped. Everyone could hear the danger and the murderous intent from his cold laughter.

"Clearly this princess is desperate to become Wang Feng's woman" Feng smirked at the princess who blushing hard as his words and laughter. "Tell me princess of Ruichai, do you want to be mine? To go as far as insult my Wang Fei, I have to say I am quite flattered"

The princess swallowed hard. The man had dangerous allure no woman could resist. He was teasing and insulting her but she couldn't tear her eyes away from his dark blue gaze.

"Will you take me then" The princess was nervous but still, very bold.

Wang Feng's single brow lifted with amusement. I could see the princess heart fluttered. The man was very troublesome. This was not what I wanted.

"Lan" Feng leaned against me keeping his teasing eyes on the foreign princess. "What do you think? Do you care if we bring this princess into Wang Mansion?"

Everyone was startled - even the princess was shocked that Wang Feng was deferring the decision me. I hadn't spoken a single word since we entered the banquet. I hadn't even responded to the foreign princess constant challenge. Seeing Wang Feng's playful smile, I gave him a sharp glare. In response, Feng chuckled and touched my cheek softly. When I turned, not letting him touch me, Feng chuckled more.

"Wang Family has a rule" I finally spoke, careful to keep my expression calm. "Any women the young master takes after his Wang Fei will live outside of Wang Estate. She is to stay confined in a home provided by the family and is not allowed to leave unless the family allows it. Of course, as a concubine to Wang Feng, she will have all the wealth and riches she desire"

"You_" The princess was clearly shocked at my words. "You're lying"

"Wei Lan does not dare to lie about her husband family tradition" I responded gently. "Wei Lan must also warn princess that she cannot control Wang Feng's desire or wishes to come and go a he pleases... If the princess is to be Wang Feng's concubine, Wei Lan will not guarantee that Wang Feng will come to visit the princess"

I looked straight into her eyes, not once faltering in my expression or words.

"You're clearly telling me you're not going to let him ever see anyone else" The princess shouted.

"Princess... Wei Lan doesn't have the skill to hold onto Wang Feng who is a hundred times stronger than her. Wei Lan only spoke the truth..."

I was sincere to her.

"To live like a cage bird, do you really want this princess? Ruichai - Wei Lan was told is a country of beauty and freedom... everyone live without restraint, like the wild horses in the open field. Such a beautiful way to live, can the princess sacrifice that for a loveless marriage?"

My question silenced her. I didn't notice that my comment had moved her father, her brother, and the guests of Ruichai. But I didn't care to notice. I genuinely asked her the question because I did not want her to become like me when I chose to marry Rou Hong. I had sacrificed everything - my freedom and my life to be with him. In the end, I was left to die alone without anyone to love me or even cry for me.

"Wang Feng..." My attention went back to Feng who held a knowing smile on his face. "If Wang Feng wants the princess, Wei Lan will not deny your desires"

Wang Feng burst out laughing when I turned my head away from him. Feng took my hand and brought it to his lips. His dark eyes sparkled with joy.

"Why would I want anyone else but Fa Wei Lan?"

His words were resolute - so unyielding that the princess took several steps back - clearly shaken. She was never denied completely like this.

"Sister" Her brother went to her and took hold of her arm. "This is a battle you cannot win. Come back to us"

The princess stared at me long and hard. I stared back without faltering. Her brother forcefully pulled her back to her seat. The hurt and pain was reflected in her eyes as she sat between her father and brother. The whole banquet became silent at the sudden awkward tension.

"Wei Lan apologizes to the emperor and empress" I stood painfully.

"Lan" Feng frown and reached for my arm, but I moved out of his reach to stand on my own.
"Wei Lan also apologizes to the chief of Ruichai. It seems Wei Lan had ruin the joyous occasion for 2 countries... please allow Wei Lan to lighten up the mood"

"Lan" Feng stood to help me stand.

"Your leg is hurt" The prince of Ruichai voice was gentle toward me. "We will not take this matter to heart. We understand your heart and appreciate it"

His sister snorted and he elbowed her arm while keeping his warm smile for me.

"Wei Lan did not mean to dance" I clarified. "Wei Lan does not have any talent in dance"

I knew how to dance, but I refused to dance for anyone, even my legs weren't injured. That type of art, I refused to ever do it to capture a man - any man attention.

"Oh?" The prince smiled. "Then the princess knows music? Does she know the Zheng harp as well?"

I knew the Quqin harp. But again, these types of arts, I refused to touch it ever again.

"Wei Lan does not have talent in music..."

Several people in the crowd chuckled. I knew it was strange for me to request a performance when I just claimed ignorance to the 2 main arts.

"Then what will the princess do?" The chief, himself, was now very curious and amused.

"Wei Lan only knows how to paint" I smiled and bowed my head. "Allow Wei Lan to paint a small gift... if the chief will accept and not laugh at Wei Lan poor skills"

"Hmph" The princess muttered under her breath. "How good can a cheap painting be?"

Her brother nudged her harder. His face showed a warning, but the princess smirked and ignored him. Holding back a tired sigh, I turned to the emperor and empress who both nodded at me. When I sat back down with Feng's help, it did not escape me that Chen Hua Lan was still standing in the middle of the field. She was just about to receive the empress gift when the foreign princess disturbance caused everyone attention away from her. She had been completely forgotten. Seeing her resentful and hurt eyes on me, I felt guilty. I hadn't meant to steal her spotlight. I had never thought to take what belonged to her.

"Why are you always causing my heart to stir with worries?"

Wang Feng's eyes were soft and warm.

"Lan... This is why I didn't want you here. In the end, you're the only one hurt"

This beautiful man - I had taken him from Chen Hua Lan. The realization heightened my guilt.