Knocking

Shoutout to SamuelStormbringer for the awesome cover! It's beautiful 💞

Blake Ryder played as Nick Bateman

Alison's POV.

My finger reached into the depths of the handbag, fumbling with the keys. Struggling to keep my eyelids open, as I inserted the silver key into the hole, I pressed my palm against the cold wood and pushed. A soft creak lingered through the air as it opened and I internally winced at the sound. Making my way to the couch, I flung my handbag to the floor, slumping down on the leather. Immediately my body relaxed, and I let out a relived sigh, closing my eyes.

The distant sound of padding against the floorboards could be heard, and I blearily opened my eyes. A blur of golden suddenly collapses on me and I emit a soft 'umph!', my hands reaching out to stabilise the fur ball upon me.

"Clover?"

The dog barked happily, it's pink tongue licking the side of my left cheek in greeting. Laughing, I rubbed the back of her ear, earning an appreciative groan from the canine.

I had found Clover in the many streets in the city, covered in mud and grime. It had been a rainy day, the huge droplets pelting the gravel. The golden Labrador had been abandoned from birth, and was left to survive by itself in the big world. Many parts on her body were bare, no trace of fur there. Her bones had sticked out prominently, showing that the pup hadn't been eating for a long duration of time. At the time I was already struggling to support myself but my heart had broken at the sight, and I had quickly scooped the dog in my arms and hurried to my apartment. I was aware that I wasn't allowed to own pets in my apartment but after continuous begging, bribing and persuading, I had grudgingly been given the approval form the landlord. Yet, the man continues to glare at me whenever he bumps into me.

"Hey there buddy. How was your day?"

She grinned at me, her tongue poking out, cocking her head to the side, slightly. Picking the bundle of gold in my arms, I made my way to the bedroom, frowning at the mess. Raising an eyebrow, I looked down at Clover and she quickly hid her head between her paws. Laughing at her actions, I set her down on the floor, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Don't worry Clo, I'm not angry."

Her tail began to swing, and I reached down to pat her head before walking into the bathroom, and closing the door behind me. Stripping out of my work clothes, I scavenged for a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt before pulling open the lower drawer and grabbing a packet of makeup wipes. Roughly, pressing the wipes against my cheek, I removed any traces of makeup from my face, leaning down to the sink to allow the cool water to soothe the burning feeling on my skin.