Choices

Alison's POV.

I found myself standing in front of Luke, in a defensive stance, my hands spread to the side.

"Yeah."Luke grunted, raising his eyebrow as if challenging Blake to make a move.

Both men weren't stupid though, they knew that consequences could be fatal if they started a brawl in a public place. Blake flexed his jaw, his Adam Apple bopping in irritation. His knuckles were pure white now, and I'm sure his nail were digging harshly into his palms.

"So are you two a thing or something?"

The coldness in his voice made Luke smirk, and he wrapped his arm around my waist, bringing me to his chest.

"Yes, still strong on a three year relationship aren't we babe?"

I frowned, prying at Luke's fingers but ceased when I spotted Blake's pained face. He was looking at me in remorse, a twinge of hope flashing in his eyes as he awaited my affirmation of our relationship.

"Uh yeah."

I'm not sure why agreed to Luke and I's supposed relationship but the satisfaction from his pain eased the guilt that prayed at my heart.

The effect was immediate. It was as if he had just been told that both his parents were murdered by the hands of a vicious serial killer. A glassy look covered his eyes, and it was clear that he was holding back his tears.

"Well,"his voice cracked and he cleared his throat,"that's great news. My sincere wishes that you'll have a happy ending."

He nodded at us, a strained smile on his lips. A sense of disappointment settles at the pit of my stomach.

There was a part of me that hoped that he would fight for us. For me. As pitiful as it may be, a flicker of me still loved him. He was my first for everything. My first kiss, first husband and first love. People say that your first love is nearly impossibly to forget, and it is. It's unbearable to see them with another even when you two had established the end of your relationship. And so a part of me still yearned for Blake's touch. His warmth. His love.

But I wasn't stupid anymore. I wasn't the naive little girl who had thought that Blake would sweep me of my feet and take me to the hills where the sun would begin settle down. I wasn't that girl anymore. I knew his ways. I knew his tricks. I knew how manipulated anyone to his advantage.

I had built my own walls. Ones so high that no human nor animals could reach. Ones that were constructed for my safety, guarding my heart from future hurt. And I would not take them down for anybody.

So what if part of me still loved that cruel man? I know better than to follow their instincts. I wasn't stupid enough to fall into his trap.

He should know that.

He was the one who made me how I am.

_________________________________

For the rest of the day Blake had retreated to his office, not emerging from the dark room. Many of the staff had rose their eyebrows, frowns etched on their faces. We had grown accustomed to our boss breathing down our necks as he sampled the food or watched us as we worked, but his sudden disappearance had certainly sparked interest in us.

Luke frowned, flicking the coin in his hand, his eyes fixed on the door of Blake's office.

It was the end of the work day and as I had not had much to do, I had decided to stay back and help clean up. But I had immediately regretted my decision after spotting the sickening green looking food that was splattered against the dinning tables, yet I still remained as Luke continued to clean up.