Letting go

I'm so sorry for not updating in forever!

Alison's POV.

Luke seemed off. He hadn't commented on any of the movies we watched, instead preferring to gaze quietly at the screen, his mind somewhere else. He would reply to my questions seconds after I asked them, quickly snapping out of whatever dream he was in. I had no idea what the issue was and how I could help.

I wanted to. I really did, but Luke would play it off that he had dozed off or was thinking about how his parents where going. I was slightly doubtful of this as we had even gone through his favourite movie and yet he still did not pay attention.

Something was bothering him. Something big.

The man who pestered me to such ends. The man who would always have a cheeky grin on his face. He was gone. And I've been noticing this. Slowly the man I once knew began to fade away. Luke barely cracked a joke and even if he did the familiar painful swirl would still remain in his eyes. But I was determined to bring him back for both mine and his advantage. I was beginning to miss the non-exisitence calls at two in the morning asking whether I wasn't wide awake and sobbing.

"Luke?"I asked, hesitantly placing my hand over his, gently.

We were craddling our mugs of hot chocolate in our hands, as we talked in hushed voice that very afternoon. We were seated in small cafe, wrapped in heavy clothing that kept us from the pelting raining outside. He tore his eyes from the window that was splattered in raindrops.

I took note of the dark bags under his eyes and the defeated look in them.  He looked as if he had given up on something. Permanently. But what?

His raspy voice pulled me out of my thoughts,"It's real cold."

I only nodded in response. Again a heavy silence fell between us. This was very unusual for us as Luke would constantly be yabbering on about the hot girl he had met at the mall or the latest action movie that had came out.

"You okay?"

He avoided his gaze, nodding curtly,"Yeah I'm good."

Feeling a bit infuriated at his vague answers, I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning against the slightly cold plastic chair. I fixed him with a heavy stare as I raised my eyebrow.

"Really?"

His eyebrows furrowed,"I'm okay, Alison. Chill."

I sighed, slamming my hands against the table, glaring.

"No, something is up and I want to know what."

I knew I was being extremely nosey and I should wait for him to tell me himself what was wrong, but I couldn't help but being slightly fed up of his distant attitude.

He grunted,"It's nothing."

I scoffed, laughing sarcastically.

"It's something alright Andrews. You're acting like a complete dick."

A flash of hurt passed his expression, and he looked up at me with angry eyes.

"You have no idea what I'm going through!"he bellowed, leaping to his feet, his body shaking.

My own anger began to rise and I threw my hands up,"Then tell me!"

He seemed to shrink back, a forlorn expression etched on his face. He opened his mouth and at that very moment I knew he was going to spill his secret but then he closed it again, changing his mind.

"I..I.."

I can't help but curse in frustration. I was so close to understanding why Luke had seemed different when a piece of him had successfully persuaded to do the opposite.