Open up

Alison's POV.

The sound of a door closing reached my ears, and I snapped my head up, wincing at the pain in my neck. I groaned at the sudden flooding of light, bringing my palms up to my face to cover them from their assault.

"Miss Williams?"

I smoothed down my hair and rubbing away the residue of drool from the corner of my mouth, suddenly self-conscious at my appearance.

"Uh - yeah."

The doctor smiled, gesturing towards the door,"He's awake."

A large grin painted my face, and I threw my hands up, a giddy squeal leaving my lips. I flung myself onto the doctor, bringing him into a hug.

"Thanks so much Doc!"

He laughed, a blush on his face as I let him go,"No worries."

Giving him another smile, my hand reached for the door handle.

This is your fault.

A nasty voice had continued to follow me during the whole wait of Luke's absence. It had continued to tell me that everything that had happened was because of me. Everything was my fault. It had told me that Luke hated me. Luke didn't want to set his eyes on me ever again.

Could I really blame him?

Who would want to talk to the person who had thrown them into hospital? I wouldn't and there was no doubt that Luke would. I closed my eyes, my hand limp against the door handle.

I was indecisive. I wanted to see him. But did he want to see me?

A familiar raspy yet loud voice tore me from my thoughts,"Oh get in here Williams!"

I laughed softly. You could bet Luke to still have his playful side with him even if he was currently sitting in a hospital bed. Turning the knob, I shoved the door open.

Luke was grinning at me, propped up against the bed. Tubes winded across the room, some that were lodged deep within his skin. He was considerably pale, a few bruises still prominent and other slowly fading.

Again doubt swirled within me and I did not have the courage to approach my friend who could possibly hate me for getting him into this mess.

"I'm sorry."I blurted out before quickly looking down at the hospital floor.

There was a silence, and I feared that my greatest horror was true. That maybe Luke really did hate me. My eyes stung, and I clenched my fists.

"Alison?"

I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath as if it were my lifeline before pasting a smile on my face and looking up,"Yeah?"

He stayed quiet, studying me.

"Come here."

Like a lost puppy, I obeyed. I stood near his bed, still not meeting his gaze. One look at his bruised face would send me in tears. I couldn't cry in front of him. I wouldn't.

"Look at me, Al."he said, gently.

I refused, already feeling the stir of tears begging to be let out.

"Please."

Stubbornly, I held my ground.

He sighed, reaching out. He fingers brushed against my cheek and the familiar feeling of warmth and safety immediately enveloped me. Unconsciously, I leaned into his touch and he chuckled, softly. With his index finger, he lifted my chin up to meet his gaze.