Would you?

Alison's POV.

Fear.

It is all what I feel as I plough trough the week, body tensed in caution and eyes flickering at every person who passes me by.

Jacob remained silent after our meet, Elizabeth deeply disappointed after I had entered the house thoroughly disturbed and scarce from the lovesick eyes she had predicted to be plastered over my expression.

After countless nagging she had given up from questioning me for what exactly had stirred such a negative reaction from the date, lurking quietly as she rubs my back in comfort.

Guilt had dug at my gut the entire week, thoughts of if I hadn't done what I had done would our marriage have turned out alright?

Had he seen what I had done?

Had that influenced his behaviour?

Blake had returned to his gloomy, depressed self, rarely appearing from his dingy office and never speaking unless asked a question.

Concern for the man had forced me to refrain openly glaring at him whenever our eyes met, instead turning away immediately as indifferently as possible.

Even Luke's gentle smile the next morning did little to cheer me up, the girl who he had recently began to see, safely wrapped in his arms.

The two of us are on break, Elizabeth dragging me to a nearby cafe, claiming that I needed to get out more often instead of the usual return and retreat from the  restaurant.

"I swear to God, you're getting paler everyday I see you!"Elizabeth huffs, red nails twirling the pink and white stripped straw delicately.

I roll my eyes, drawing my own chocolate milkshake towards me. My eyes flicker towards the door, the bell ringing above them as a couple enters, wide smiles painted on each their lips.

They look content. Satisfied.

They're simple people. Living an ordinary life. But to themselves they are living a dream, in the other's arms. Together.

I yearn for the love they feel, fingers falling limp at my lap as I struggle to draw my eyes away from the lovesick couple.

"You okay?"

It's Elizabeth gentle voice that pulls me away from any hopeless wishes, her brown orbs full of concern.

I smile lightly, nodding as I lean backwards in my seat. She's not stupid though. She knows that I'm lying. That I'm hiding my frown.

"Is someone threatening you?"she asks hesitantly.

My back tenses as I straighten in my seat, fixing the grim before me with a stern gaze, "Why would you think that?"

She shifts in the white, plastic chair, an uncomfortable smile playing on her lips, "I don't know. You just seem really fidgety these days, and you keep glancing at the door whenever someone comes in."

I throw her a careless smile, draping a lazy arm over my chair, "It's all good."

She purses her lips but allows the lie to slide. Guilt strums at my gut, knowing that my friend was merely trying to look out for me while I continuously pushed her away.

The crestfallen expression on her face is enough to have me sigh, lowering my arms on the grimy, plastic table, explanations erupting from my lips.

"The guy from the date."I begin, pushing my hair from my face as Elizabeth straightens in her seat, smiling steadily, "I knew him."

She nods, a faint smile lining her lips, "Thought so."

"You knew?"

"You seemed shocked when I opened the door. Connected the dots to know that you obviously knew the dude."