Foolish

If you guys felt any sort of forgiveness towards Blake in the previous chapters, you're gunna hate him in this one.

Alison's POV.

One week.

It had been exactly one week since Blake had sent me the voicemail.

The voicemail that had remained stubbornly untouched but never forgotten.

And now, now finally after being constantly pushed away with 'I'll do it later's, was finally going to be opened.

My thumb is trembling as I press against his name, the screen enlarging as the next slide is opened.

There is silence for a while, other than the occasional sounds of rustling.

And then when I believe that the whole thing is a joke, my thumb pressed against the home button does a strangled cry emit from the coloured screen.

My eyes enlarge in alarm, genuine concern for the man who is sobbing uncontrollably into the speaker beginning to flicker within me.

It continues for a minute or two, the voicemail is just a string of cries and broken hiccups.

"A-Alison?"he whimpers.

It feels as though the entire world has stopped. Everything has paused.

Because he is speaking. He is speaking to me.

"Babe?"

A sudden giddiness erupts across my chest at the mention of name many used to call their loved ones.

"I k-know you you don't want to see my right now. Hell, if I were y-you I wouldn't either. I get it though.
I get why you act as though I'm nothing. I deserve it...I really do."

Silence.

My breathing is baited, mind unsure and heart thumping wildly.

Guilt eats at my stomach as he suddenly break out into another batch of uncontrollable cries.

"I j-just want to say that...that if that guy you seem to like..Lucy or something like that. If he messes up I'm here. I'm here for you. We d-don't have to be in a relationship or something but friends? Please?"

I can feel him.

I can feel him breaking. Slowly.

His walls are falling. Coming down in shattered blocks of weathered bricks.

And I want to reach out. Reach out and tell him that it was okay. That I would be there for him. That I loved him.

But I couldn't. Wouldn't.

Because that would be foolish. Foolish to surrender my heart to a man who was destined to break it again. Foolish to drop everything just for one person.

Love was foolish.

It made you careless. Unaware of everything around you.

You believed every lie. Every fib. Every excuse that your loved one would say to cover up their mistakes.

It was okay to love.