Don't Know

Alison's POV.

I create a steady beat with my foot, the soft sound of sneakers hitting the floor with hurried anticipation echoing through the ghostly silent halls of the hospital.

Quiet murmurs can be heard from inside the room, where I am sitting beside, proof of the alive and breathing man I once sold my heart too.

My mind is clouded in both excitement and fear, a mess of blotchy paints that splayed upon the rough canvas, deep blues blooming into striking violets.

I'm not sure whether I should be mad or forgiving. If I should welcome him back with open arms.

I just don't know.

The sound of a door opening catches my ear, head snapping up as I divert my line of vision to the emerging frame of a person slipping past the half way opened door.

"He's asking for you."

She sounds confused yet relieved as she bends to my height, thighs flexing from her movement, the strain of her body weight upon her two feet present though her thin spandex leggings.

"You okay?"

Her voice is gentle, as if she talking to a fragile doll who could shatter from the slightest of breeze. Gentle fingers reach out, her hand caressing my cheek as she watches me carefully.

"It's okay if you don't want to go in."

I know she's lying. I know that it would be far from okay if I weren't to fulfil Blake's wish of the sight of me.

No one wanted to see the man pale and bony, far from consciousness again.

The thought was a slicker of a reminder of what would become if I crossed his barrier.

"I'm okay."I croak out, voice hoarse and rough from it's decrease of use, "I'm okay."

I'm convincing myself not grounding the thought into her mind. My words are more use to myself than for her.

I'm okay. Blake is okay.

We're okay.

"Good."she says, doubt lacing her tone but she's doesn't push the topic instead smiling encouragingly, "Deep breaths Al. Deep breaths."

A flicker of annoyance towards myself sparks in my stomach, sneering at my selfishness for it should be I who is comforting this girl, for she is the man's sister, and I simply an old lover.

I swallow away the thought as she help me to my feet, a soft hand resting at the small of my back as she gently pushes me towards the door.

"You sure you're okay with this?"she asks again, brown eyes searching mine with concern.

I don't know. I, myself have no idea.

What was I to say? What was I to do? It was all too much. All too soon.

So instead I steer the conversation to a topic I had mulled over for a large period of time, teeth bitting down on my bottom lip in anxiety as I drop my gaze to the floor.

"How do you..."I whisper, voice so soft that if she hadn't meant forward lightly that she wouldn't have heard it, "How do you know when you l-love someone?"

And there it is.

The look of complete and utter pity that pools in the depths of her deep brown eyes, lips parting as she released a soft 'oh'.

"Oh Alison."she sighs, lean arms widening as she spots the glassy looks in my eyes.

I'm engulfed in the warmth of my best friend, her hold tightening as I cry relentlessly in her arms, her fingers threaded in my hair, a gentle caress that eventually calms me down.