Tired

Alison's POV.

Elizabeth doesn't seem pleased to see me.

She too has dark bags hanging from her eyes, skin pale and frame thin from fatigue or the decrease of food, I am not certain.

Her eyes skim down my body, a thin eyebrows raising at my attire that consists of frayed jeans and a white shirt.

"Did you run here or something?"she scoffs, the thought to her seeming surreal.

"I actually kinda did."I say, eyes flickering to the floor.

"Did you now?"she drawls, disbelief lacing her words, "Finally approached my dear brother when's on his death bed? Does he have to die for you to truly notice him?"

Her words are like slaps against my skin, a wake up call to the misery I had put the man beside me too.

"He's not going to die."

A laugh falls from her lips, devoid of humour, "Chances are high. Lost a lot of blood."

Her eyes flash dangerously at me, warning me to watch my words.

The air around is tense, stifling almost.

I breathe in sharply, the question that had been nagging at me for several weeks, begging to be released.

"How did he.."

I trail off uncertainly, tucking an ankle behind another as I avoid her eyes that are boring holes into me.

"Great question actually!"she pipes up, tone dripping with childish joy, almost as if I were to dread what she were to say.

"He isn't currently on the brink of death because of you. Oh God no."she smiles.

Her joy is frightening. She is smiling but her eyes, her eyes are flames. They are the pits of hell, flaring angrily at me with hints of grief. Of loss.

"He didn't cry himself to sleep every night because the love of his life continued to turn him down. He didn't take your insults to heart and convince himself that he really was a dick and didn't deserve your love. He didn't convince himself that he wasn't worth it. That he really didn't deserve a place on this earth. He didn't think he was absolute fucking shit."

She grins, that carefree smile, "Tell me Alison, why did Blake wear such long sleeves when it was like forty degrees outside?"

Her eyes are not narrowed anymore, they are wide and glassy, tears brimmed to the full and lips quivering.

I shift uncomfortably, guilt like poison in my system, my head bowed as I answer her, "I don't k-know."

I do, but I'm afraid that I was right.

He wouldn't would he?

"Don't lie!"she suddenly screeches, eyes flaming with enraged anger, "Don't lie to me! You know!"

Fear fists at my heart at her expression, clammy hands gripping the railings of the bed. She leaps to her feet, metres away from where I am standing, back pressed against the wall.

"Elizabeth!"

It's Blake's father who had finally awoken from his slumber, eyes widening in alarm as he views his daughter.

"Elizabeth, please! Calm down!"

She doesn't listen. She can't. She wouldn't.

"No!"she screams, thrashing in his arms as he restricts from her throwing her fists at me, "Let me go!"

"Stop this!"he shouts, gently pressing her into a seat, palms pressed firmly upon her shoulders, "Violence is not the answer! This will not help your brother in any way!"

The mention of her brother seems to still her, her body tensing as she collapses into the plastic chair, drawing her knees to her chest to hide her tear stained face.

Her shoulders wrack from each dry sob that shudder the room around us, guilt exploding at my stomach.

I shift uncomfortably from where I am, the action seeming to have been caught on by the distressed male, who releases a long sigh.

"Alison."he says, gesturing to the door, "Can I have a word?"

There is no gentleness in his tone, years back when he had addressed me as his own daughter now non-existent.

There is nothing but disappointment.

I don't want to talk, but I am in no position to argue so with a heavy heart I follow him outside, ignoring the cries of my friend behind me.

He closes the door behind us, the white corridor stretching around us as families huddle with concerned expressions beside rooms.

Jake seems older than ever as I watch him carefully, dark bags heaving at his eyes and hollow cheek bones. His once sleek, black hair is flecked with white, flung over his head messily.

He rubs a tired hand against his eyes, exhaustion evident against his movements.

"I'm sorry about Elizabeth." he sighs, shoving his hands into his pockets, eyes clouded with grief.

"Though the two never got along, they loved each other dearly. None was ever going to admit that however. She's beating herself up over it."he adds hesitantly, "She thinks she could've done more to save him."

I bite my lip, refusing myself from asking what exactly had happened to him.

Dark eyes watch me carefully, a long eyebrows raising incredulously, "Surely by now you know what must've happened to him, yes?"

I flush under his gaze, tilting my head away, "No I'm sorry."

I can't see his expression but I am sure his exasperated by now.

"Blake."he says, voice cracking ever so slightly, "He tried to commit suicide."

____________________

I'M EVIL IK

BUT OMG I'M SO PROUD OF MYSLEF I UPDATE TWO DAYS IN A DOW WOOO!!