Midnight Visits

Alison's POV.

I brung the cup closer to my lips. Frowning, I pulled the thin shawl tightly around my shoulders in search of a source of warmth. Glancing down at my arm, my frown deepened as I spotted the goosebumps that covered my skin. Yet, I couldn't be bothered to stand up and grab a warmer piece of clothing nor a blanket.

My apartment had amazing views, something that I was immensely thankful for. The city lights were splayed against the scene, tall buildings spilling their shadows against the lonesome streets. The distant sound of engines spluttering into life or the hum of a car as it fled down a road, rang through the air. The murmurs of the trees and the shouts of children and adults, followed.

After my embarrassing exit from the restaurant, I had loitered around the city, sulking as I watched lovesick couples hand in hand walking down the streets. I had foolishly fled my job without collecting my belongings. My belongings meaning my purse or my phone. I couldn't purchase anything in the city which was pity since I had eyed a gorgeous, off the shoulder dress for a good ten minutes before realising that I was currently broke.

I knew that my phone would've been going crazy from the amount of calls and text, Luke would've been sending. If I hadn't replied in an hour, which I hadn't, then he knew I needed space. He wouldn't approach me till I had cooled down. I was thankful for our friendship. At this moment I didn't want anyone comforting me.

I wanted to be alone.

Away from the drama that followed me. Away from the man that still managed to lurk at the background of my dreams. Away from everything.

Even if it were for a night.

So there I was, huddled at the corner of my balcony in thin tights and a tank top, a white shawl draped around my shoulders. Clover layer beside me, silent. She too knew that I needed my quite time to think over my life. So she let me be.

Blake Ryder. The man that had captured my heart yet had broken it as well. The man that seemed to now, suddenly show interest for me. Was it some sort of trick? Luke had claimed that Blake had feelings for me but I was slightly doubtful. He had never shown any of them during our  time together.

"Do you think he really loves me?"

Clover raised her head from the cold tiles she was sprawled against, her ears raised. She cocked her head to the side, barking lightly. I smiled, stretching out a hand to scratch the fur behind her ear.

I sighed, resting my hand against her neck, relishing the warmth she offered,"I mean who am I kidding? Of course he doesn't. He didn't six year ago. What makes this any difference? He had two years to portray his 'love' for me and he failed terribly but now he's back apparently with renewed feelings for me?"

I scoffed.

"Is that what you really think?"a voice rang out, the hurt in their tone obvious.

I gasped, whipping around. I prayed that it wasn't who I had thought it was but of course I wasn't so lucky.

"Blake?"I stuttered, my eyes wide.

He didn't reply, his eyes focused on mine. The pain in his eyes was intense and I refrained myself from scuttling back from his stare.

"Is that what you really think?"he repeated, a twinge of hope in his voice.

I avoided his gaze,"I-I.."

He sighed, his eyes glassy. A feeling of guilt enveloped my being and I felt regretful for uttering such harsh words in his presence, even if I had not known. It was wrong of me. He may have treated me with disgrace but it wasn't right to apply the same sort of treatment to him. However I had already done so before and I hadn't felt guilty.

Yet I did not have the courage to apologise. I never had favoured apologising to others, however horrible that may sound. I just wasn't a fan of it. A sense of vulnerability and defeat always wrapped around me whenever I did.

[A/N: same here, I honestly find it so hard to say sorry even if I was at wrong.]

He cleared his throat as if restricting himself from bawling. His eyes were tinted red, a glassy look covering them. My heart clenched painfully, the feeling of remorse once again creeping upon me.

Not wanting to continue to bask in the tense air, I quickly changed the subject, making sure my expression was deadpan,"Why are you here?"

He flashed me a grateful smile, a red hue tinting his cheeks.

"You left your stuff back at work, I thought I'd bring it over."he stammered, glancing down at the tiles.

I nodded, narrowing my eyes at him,"How'd you get in?"

"You left the front door unlocked, I knocked a few times and you didn't answer so I figured I would just drop it off but then... I heard you."he replied, his voice cracking near the end.

Again, I nodded glancing away towards the lights of city. I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready to discuss what had occurred years ago. A heavy silence hung over us and I fidgeted uneasily.

"Alison I want to say that I'm - "

I cut him off quickly,"It's getting late isn't it?"

I knew what he was going to say. He was going to apologise. I didn't wasn't to hear it. Him apologising for what he did would never make forget what he had done to me. He was a monster. A sick man who would do anything to get what he wanted.

Years ago he had me. He had me at his knees, pleading for his attention. But now I was far from his reach. This time, our roles were reversed. He was the love sick puppy.

But was he really? Did he really love me?

I inwardly scoffed at the thought. He sure as hell didn't.

The only reason he was after me was because now I was competition. He had always loved competition. He would strive to capture my heart just to see me crumble after. Our relationship would be for his advantage. Our relationship had always been controlled by him. Whatever was left of our relationship.

And I hated it.

I hated that he had some sort of power or control over me, bending me to his commands. I wouldn't stand that now. I would rise above him.

He sighed in irritation.

"Look I'm sorry okay? What happened years ago was a mistake. I shouldn't have treated you like that, I get it. Just please give me a chance. To make it right. To make things better."

I snarled,"Oh so now our 'marriage' was a mistake is it? How much more could you fuck up Ryder?"

His eyes widened as he replayed the error in his words. I sneered, all remorse and guilt for snapping at him before washed away, replaced with a renewed anger.

"Alison - "

"Shut up!"I barked out, clenching my fists at my side to refrain from lashing out.

He ran a hand through his hair, sensing my fury.

His next moves were vital for both his and mine's 'relationship'. Whatever he did next would decide how I would handled our situation. But of course I had married a dumb duck so the chance of him actually remaining in my building were slim.

"I'm sorry."

That did it.

"GET THE FUCK OUT!"