Quiet

Short but steamy chapter here my dudes.

Alison's POV.

The letters flooded in every day, the white roses never ceasing to appear every morning but never did the owner of all the gracious gifts appear in my line of vision.

It was as if the darkness had swallowed him, my wishes slowly becoming real as the appearance of a man I disliked began to ebb away.

Elizabeth had become increasingly quiet, exhaustion evident in her expression, her brown eyes that were once full of excitement now a dull drab.

The air around me was cloudy, almost mournful as if someone important to me had past away silently, unnoticeably.

"Elizabeth."

Once again, the girl seems to have not heard me, eyes unfocused and fingers limp in her lap. She seems uninterested, indifferent even as if the absolute idea of talking to someone, anyone was tiring.

"Elizabeth."I repeat, voice firm and bold.

She blinks, internal hands grabbing at her environment to comprehend where and why she was here.

Irritation sparks at my gut as she throws me a questioning look, eyes silently pleading for me to stay quiet.

Weeks of the once energetic girl pulling herself into a closed ball had affected me thoroughly, my mood heavily dampened from the decrease of giggles.

"You okay?"I ask softly.

It's a ridiculous question for Elizabeth was far from okay, but my mind was blank, unable to communicate with my friend without startling her.

She watches me with careful eyes, a flash of anger dancing in her brown orbs before she shakes her head, "I don't know."

Her answer is long winded, questionable to many.
She is like a puzzle, one that to me seems impossible to solve.

My skin tingles with discomfort as her eyes narrow lightly at me, as if she was holding herself back from lashing out.

Was the anger directed at me?

And if so, why? What had I done to her?

My mind pulls frantically at loose thread, playing back the events of the last few weeks, desperate to find a situation in which I had put off my friend.

"Tell me Alison."she questions, tone light and gentle as if I were glass that she was afraid to break, "Tell me would you ever forgive my dear step-brother?"

Blake.

My heart skips at the mention of him, warmth spreading over my chest.

I knew that I loved him. Held deep feelings for the man for the man who had succeeded in tearing apart the idea of love for me.

And maybe it's pathetic that I still loved him.

But I wasn't the naive, young girl who needed her prince in shinning armour to whisk her off her feet anymore.

I was smarter than that. Better than that.

Maybe one day I would forgive him for his cruel deeds.

But that one day was not today.

She wasn't happy with my answer.

That was clear enough.

Her eyes had darkened many shades, lips mouldings into a disappointed frown as she sighs quietly, nodding.

She didn't seem angry.

Just sad. Tired.

Elizabeth had stared at me silently after that, expression devoid of any emotion before she had risen to her feet, muttering that her father had called and needed some help at home.

But she didn't leave before smiling at me. That sad smile that someone wears when they desperately want to cry out but are refraining themselves.

She had leant down, until I could smell the coffee on her breath, eyes glassy with tears and lips quivering.

"He needs you."

And then she was gone.

______________________

Elizabeth didn't turn up to work the next day.

Neither did Blake, from what I heard from the loud gossiping ladies near the entrance, white blouses unbuttoned, showcasing plenty of cleavage.

Both of them didn't show up the day after that.

Or the day after.

I had tried calling Elizabeth plenty of times, eyes closed shut as I silently begged for the familiar sound of her voice to replace the monotone rings.

My fingers danced across the screen, large texts sweeping into the screen as I try and find a way to contact my friend.

I had even drove to her house, ringing the bell a good hundred times and waiting for her to rush to the door, the results disappointing.

I was in a complete mess, worried over the whereabouts of my best friend who had disappeared of the face the earth.

The police remained as a last resource, possibly when the disappearance of the girl had stretched over a considerable amount of time.

However, the words that there were flinging through the kitchens and staff room the following day had shocked me to the core, mind left in a hazy daze as I try and recollect my surroundings.

I can't believe what I am hearing as both men and women converse between each other, faces darkened in concern, their words echoing across the walls in increased volumes.

"The boss has slipped into a coma."

_____________

Sorry for the short chapter! Hopefully the next one will be long! >.<

I think I'm finally coming to an ending, because really when I started this story it was just for my enjoyment and I didn't actually have any plans for this other than just writing what pops up in my head. I've got a rough idea of an ending now though soo...yeah! :)