Chapter One-The Underground City-[REWRITTEN]

Hi guys! Thank you for reading! I'm currently rewriting this story. This chapter has been rewritten, but I have plenty more to do, so don't mind the crappy writing in the other chapters! :)  I've changed some things as well, so it might not make sense the few chapters until I go in and change it.

I had often dreamt of life above

What it looked like, the fascinations of its' culture, the civilization, the opportunities. I had created my own reality of the perfect world in my head, and added more and more to it everyday. I had dreamt of living on the surface. I would possibly have a nice, steady job, maybe a teacher- encouraging my little ones to try their absolute hardest, to never give up, and doting on them. I'd feel lonely and sad when I had to release them at the end of the day to return to their parents, but I would make sure to give them a happy wave goodbye.

A teacher. Who am kidding?

My life belonged here- in the Underground City. We didn't have much need for such things.

I had longed for life above.

My fantasies were always ruined when I was snatched away from there. Loud clamors could always be heard outside of my home. Yells, groans and moans of agony surrounded you. There was no escape. The weep of death embraced us.

Grabbing onto my peach, blood-stained, withered away couch that I had randomly stumbled upon, luckily, I pushed myself upward, leaning on my elbows to sit up. I brought my hands up, and gave them a quick glance before rubbing the sleep away from my eyes and giving a deep exhale. My body ached to no end- I didn't have a bed, and before I found this dirty old couch I had slept on the disgusting floor every night. It really does put a strain on your body.

Shakily, I stood to my feet. The pain in my heels proved worse than the ache in my back. I was always on my feet- walking through the Underground, at work, it was non-stop. I grimaced slightly at the pain. Though the pain sometimes could find itself excruciating, we were the lucky ones. In the Underground, many people found themselves incapable of using their legs. They're left to sit in their own filth and slowly waste away until their heart finally gives out. I'll probably share the same fate- eventually.

My stomach growled, begging for food as I rubbed it for comfort. I don't have any... The last time I ate was after my shift at my job at a nearby pub. Stacio. I was grateful to have a job, though, it wasn't much money. People here struggled to get by on a daily basis, and many result to prostitution or thuggery- any way to make a decent amount to be able to survive in this Hell. The people who stopped by at Stacio weren't the kindest considering they're a bunch of slot-like drunkards, but they put coins in my pocket, and those coins went towards food. Often times, getting paid didn't happen.  Being frugal with your money here was crucial towards your survival.