Chapter 37

I regenerated very quickly after regaining my conciousness, but it took me another two hours to be well enough to begin walking again. Samuel stayed with me the entire time. The poor guy must've been so tired afterward.

I was still very at Levi for not showing up to the infirmary to see me. I'm his lover, right? This isn't an one-sided relationship, right? Whatever. I'm still going to talk to him about this.

"Levi." I say to his office door. It was in the middle of the night, not even four in the morning. He was probably asleep.

When I don't hear a response from the other end, I knock hard on his door three times.

I hear him groan from the other side and wait a few seconds.
He grudgingly opens the door, revealing himself in the last outfit I saw him in. It seemed he either lacked clothing besides his uniform and three outfits, or he really didn't bother changing.

"Qu'est-ce que tu veux? Il est trois heures du matin!" Levi beams at me. He had a bad habit of speaking another language that I was not aware of when angered.

I notice his eyes were red and watery as if he had either been sleep deprived or as if had just finished crying.

"Bien? Qu'est-ce tu veux!?" He pulls me tightly into his office and walks me over to his desk, sifting me on top.

"Stop speaking a different fucking language and talk to me in English. Why weren't you there with me, Levi? I could've died!" I push him off of my body and cross my arms in protest. "Samuel was there with me!"

"I'm not fucking Samuel, and you've got one more time to raise your voice. I'm getting sick and tired of this shit, (Y/N). We haven't been together for a week and look how toxic we've become. I was busy. I'm not a cadet like you. I'm a captain. I'm just under the rank of commander, right after Hanji. I have better shit to do than kiss your boo-boos everytime you're injured. For the love of walls, look at my fucking foot!" He motions his hand down at his right foot and I instantly begin to feel bad.

Not bad enough.

"I was smashed against a tree! The only reason why I'm still alive is because of my regenerating abilities, and even then it took me half a day to heal! What happened to 'I'll protect you'? Huh? Tell me Levi!" My eyes begin to well with tears as I watch Levi grow angry. He's not going to intimidate me. He's in the wrong, not me.

Right?

There was an intense silence between us. I quickly dried my tears before they began to drip and stared him directly in his eyes, indicating my dominance.

"(Y/N)." Levi says my name quietly, almost inaudible.

I don't answer. I don't need to answer to him. If anything he needs to answer to me! I'm his princess!

"My job as Captain is to make sure all of my soldiers train well. My job as Captain is to make sure all my soldiers come back home safely after an Expedition, and if they're lost to the cause, my job is to write their names down on those stacks of paper over there on my desk, you see? I always have stacks of paper. I'm never out. That means I'm not doing something right if my soldiers are always dying. I don't like unnecessary deaths. This is the reason why I didn't want us to be together in the first place. Those deaths are on Erwin and mines shoulders. There's not a day I don't go by thinking 'I could've done something to save them'."

He pauses and looks up at the ceiling. Just listening to his unfinished quote began to make me feel very guilty. I understand.

"I'm not putting this good into words, am I? I need Hanji. She's better at stuff like this than I am. What I'm trying to say is: would you risk 1,000 lives for the sake of the one you cared for most, or you would you risk the one you cared for most for the sake of 1,000 lives?"