Chapter 30

The Long-Distance Enemy Scouting Formation, arranged by Commander Erwin himself

The Long-Distance Enemy Scouting Formation, arranged by Commander Erwin himself. It was a plan devised for specifically looking amongst the plains while increasing the chances of soldiers survival. The most valuable assets of the formation were to remain in the center while other groups would stay towards the East, West, North, and South side. When one group encounters a Titan, they would shoot a flare. Color depending on the situation. Red would signal that a Titan has penetrated the formation, Black would be an Abnormal, and purple would be an emergency. This would alert Erwin more quickly and give him the chance to react to the situation accordingly.

For both Eren and mines security, we were placed in the center rear of the formation. This was the most safest position to be and usually was away from all of the Titan fighting.

Often, I would receive episodes of when the voices would attack my mind in hushed whispers. I would buck on my horse and let out sudden groans. Samuel or Petra would have to stay behind to make sure I was okay.

Besides my episodes, the Expedition went smoothly. Sometimes flares would go off, and the plan worked properly with Erwin receiving the message and changing the formation accordingly.

"Samuel, this is your first Expedition, isn't it? Also yours, I believe Eren." I say. Nobody was really talking, and everyone seemed rather tired.

Samuel nodded. Eren didn't respond. He kept staring on ahead into the distance, a look of contemplation well written on his face.

"It's not that bad. This isn't a big deal," Sam laughed, earning a glare from Levi.

"You go rush off into the heart of a battle then. We'll see if you return," Levi retorted.

Sam began to reply but I hushed them. Now was not the time for them to begin fighting.

Petra would focus on Levi, Oulo would steal peeks of Petra, and Gunter would notice and laugh.

Armin's Pov
It pulled my hood down, and looked me straight in the eye. The blue eyes flared down into mine and it let out a hushed breath against my skin. It looked at me for the longest time, before putting my hood back on my head gently, getting up, and running off.

W-w-what....

I sat on my knees, shocked. I had no clue what to do next. I had just witnessed the leader of the group get swung around like a piece of a string.

Corpses lay splattered against the ground disoriented or covered in their own blood.

I couldn't move.

Why didn't it kill me?

Is it looking for someone?