Chapter 25

"ATTENTION, SURVEY CORPS SOLDIERS!" Commander Erwin shouts, interrupting us from our daily chatting in the Mess Hall

Commander Erwin shouts, interrupting us from our daily chatting in the Mess Hall. We all focus our gaze on him and listen to what he has to say.

"I hope you've had your fun with the short break, but this is when things get serious. We're going on another expedition soon, so I need you to start preparing for it. We may be gone for a while. We're attempting to push foward toward the abandoned city of Shiganshina. There possibly will be many, many casualties." Erwin looks down at his boots and I notice many recruits have small drops of sweat rolling down their cheeks.

Well, it is their first expedition. I cried on my first expedition, almost died twice, and witnessed my friends tragic ending.

I shake my head to try and forget that memory. Neither Levi nor I enjoyed reminiscing about it.

Erwin continues,"You joined the Survey Corps to fight for freedom. For humanity. Offer your hearts and die for it!" He pumps his fists into the air, and we follow.

"Offer your hearts!" We all shout in unison.

I didn't really know why, but whenever Erwin gave us those Offer Your Heart speeches, it really inspired us to go murder a bunch of giant, man-eating humanoid creatures, despite us being at a major disadvantage with them.

He gives us the famous salute, and walks away. We wait for a while silently before returning to our normal conversations.

I sat with Eren, Mikasa and Armin instead of my squad members. I felt it necessary to get somewhat closer to the people I saved.

"My first expedition! I'm so ready!" Eren boasts and I slowly slap his shoulder playfully, due to the fact Mikasa was staring intensely, careful making sure I didn't hurt him.

"Don't say that as if you're going to survive. You're not an official Scout member until you come back alive. Focus on staying alive out there first, okay?" I move a strand of hair behind my ear and smile.

Eren quickly nods and looks down at the table.

Eren was such a determined boy. Ever since his mother died, he's had this certain urge to avenge her. That's good and all, but it blinds him from himself. One day, that bloodthirst might get him killed.

Armin speaks up, "hey, Eren, have you thought about what I told you?"

"Of course not!" Eren thumps Armins head, causing him to slightly shriek.

"What have you told him Armin?" I ask with a raised brow.

"Erm...it's just a silly thing I told him before the Wall was busted. The first time, not the second." He laughs shyly and twirls his somewhat long blonde hair.

I smile at his awkwardness and encourage him to tell me. "Don't be shy. Tell me. I promise I won't laugh."

Armin hesitates for a moment, but tells me of this thing called..